THE ROUNDHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1258103

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1999

Statutory Address: THE ROUNDHOUSE, CHALK FARM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ROUNDHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258103 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 18:16:45.

Location

Statutory Address: THE ROUNDHOUSE, CHALK FARM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 28297 84302

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2884SW CHALK FARM ROAD 798-1/64/194 (South West side) 10/06/54 The Roundhouse (Formerly Listed as: CHALK FARM ROAD The Round House Theatre)

GV II*

Formerly known as: Warehouse of W & A Gilbey Ltd CHALK FARM ROAD. Goods locomotive shed, now theatre. 1846-7. By Robert B Dockray. For the London and North Western Railway. Built by Branson & Gwyther. Converted for use as a theatre 1967 and 1985. Yellow stock brick. Low pitched conical slate roof having a central smoke louvre, now glazed, and bracketed eaves. Circular plan 48m in diameter. Buttresses with offsets mark bays each having a shallow, recessed rectangular panel. Former entrances and windows with round-arched heads. INTERIOR: roof carried on 24 cast-iron Doric columns (defining original locomotive spurs) and a framework of curved ribs. Believed to retain original flooring, turn table and fragments of early railway lines. Wooden gallery probably added by Gilbeys, late C19. HISTORICAL NOTE: the building did not last long as an engine shed; by the 1860s the engines had become too long to be turned and stored there so it was leased to W & A Gilbey Ltd as a liquor store until converted to a theatre in the 1960s. (Survey of London: Vol. XXI, Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood, St Pancras III: London: -1949: 114).





Listing NGR: TQ2829784302

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 476873

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood St Pancras Part 3: Volume 21, (1949), 114

End of official listing