No.5 and 6 Townsend Cottages and Rose Cottage

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1258318
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1988
Date of most recent amendment:
27-Mar-2008
Statutory Address:
No.5 and 6 Townsend Cottages and Rose Cottage

Map

Ordnance survey map of No.5 and 6 Townsend Cottages and Rose Cottage
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258318.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 14:29:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
No.5 and 6 Townsend Cottages and Rose Cottage

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Chittlehampton
National Grid Reference:
SS 63269 25372

Details

CHITTLEHAMPTON CHITTLEHAMPTON SS 62 NW

1/129 No.5 and 6 Townsend Cottages and Rose Cottage 8-JAN-1988 -

- II Row of three cottages, originally four. Probably late C18 or early C19.

MATERIALS: Rendered stone rubble and some cob. Continuous slate roof with gable ends. Brick ridge stack to Rose Cottage, with dentilated detail around the capping. Brick stacks to each end of the two right-hand cottages and rendered stack to rear left-hand room of No. 5 enclosed by outshut.

PLAN: Two storeys. Nos. 5 and 6 appear to be of an integral build, No. 6 is the smaller cottage with direct entry into the large principal room. No. 5 is of two room and central passage plan, the left-hand room heated by the rear stack, the right-hand room by the gable end stack. Both cottages have staircases and kitchen sculleries housed in the rear outshuts. Rose Cottage is the amalgamation of No. 7 and 8 and has an outshut to the rear of the right hand bay.

EXTERIOR: Eight window range in all, of C19 fenestration; No. 5 has a symmetrical three window range, all two-light casements with six panes per light and central plank door, the upper two panels glazed. No. 6 has two-light casements with eight panes per light on each floor to left of identical door. Rose Cottage has four two-light casements, six panes per light to first floor and three two-light casements with eight panes to each light to ground floor, to left of C20 gabled slate porch roof and four panelled door, the upper two panels glazed.

A straight-joint indicates that Rose Cottage, originally two cottages, is probably of a slightly earlier build than No. 5 and 6 and was possibly originally a mirror plan pair of cottages, with direct entry into single principal room. There is a small lean-to extension to the rear of the end bay of Rose Cottage and a further outshut to rear of the right hand bay on two levels, which houses the kitchen and a further room at lower level.

INTERIOR: Rose Cottage interior inspected. A cross beam to each of the ground floor principal rooms survives and the stone fireplace to the principal room that is accessed via the entrance door, and has a Georgian timber surround. The fireplace to the other principal room has been re-built in the C20. To the first floor are exposed roof timbers: purlins, principal trusses and collar beams suggesting that the C18 collar truss roof structure survives. SOURCES: First Edition Ordnance Survey map (1889); Second Edition Ordnance Survey map (1905); Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey map (1933)

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION: Nos. 5 and 6 Townsend Cottages and Rose Cottage are listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons: * They survive largely intact retaining their roof structure, chimney stacks and much of their plan form * They form a coherent group of late C18 or early C19 cottages.

Listing NGR: SS6327025372

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
444759
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/06554/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Ann Allen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].