THE RUINS OF SHURLAND HALL OR CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1258505

Date first listed: 14-May-1952

Statutory Address: THE RUINS OF SHURLAND HALL OR CASTLE, LEYSDOWN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE RUINS OF SHURLAND HALL OR CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258505 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 05:23:52.

Location

Statutory Address: THE RUINS OF SHURLAND HALL OR CASTLE, LEYSDOWN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Swale (District Authority)

Parish: Eastchurch

National Grid Reference: TQ 99421 71550

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEYSDOWN ROAD 1. 5282 (East Side) Eastchurch, Sheerness The Ruins of Shurland Hall or Castle TQ 97 SE 13/144 14.5.52.

II* GV 2. Built by Sir Thomas Cheney during the reign of Henry VIII partly of materials said to have been brought from Chilham Castle on the mainland of Kent, and then consisting of several courtyards. The portion that remains faces west. 2 storeys. Red brick with a diaper pattern of grey headers on a stone base. 6 windows, hung sashes with the remains of glazing bars but all the glass missing. The 2 centre window bays are flanked by octagonal turrets of 3 storeys each, which have stone quoins and castellated parapets. Within these at the north end is a tall and wide 4-centred stone doorway with dripstone, carved spandrels and an iron-studded door. 1 small ground floor window to the south of the main doorway is a former doorway. On each side of the turrets are 2 windows on the 1st floor and 1 window on the ground floor. Brick buttress at the south end. Projection at the north end with stone quoins, but now half collapsed. Part of the wing behind it, which is of stone, still remains. The east front has 4 casement windows of 2 lights, each with 4-centred heads, stone mullions and dripstones. Wide 4-centred stone doorway. To the east is a courtyard enclosed with the remains of a building to ground floor height, of red brick on the north side and of stone on the east side. Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn were entertained here on 7 October 1532, so the house was probably complete before that date.

Listing NGR: TR0030470678

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 445085

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing