This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SEACOMBE FERRY TERMINAL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SEACOMBE FERRY TERMINAL

List entry Number: 1258535

Location

SEACOMBE FERRY TERMINAL, VICTORIA PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wirral

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1991

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 445168

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added:

SJ 39 SW WALLASEY VICTORIA PLACE

3/86 Seacombe Ferry Terminal

II

Ferry and omnibus terminus. 1930-3, designed by L St G Wilkinson, the Borough Surveyor. Brick with Portland stone dressings; tiled roofs. Two ranges, one of a single story parallel to the Mersey containing booking and entrance halls, the other returning, of two storeys, containing waiting rooms, workshops and offices. Both ranges connected by a loggia (defining two sides of a courtyard bus station), supported by paired Doric columns. The riverside range with deep hipped roof and monumental central clock tower, the latter slightly tapering to upper courses, the clock faces over ventilation slits contained within superordinate arches, the stepped plinth, with stripped classical detailing, of stone; all this over a broken pedimented projecting entrance block (all stone) with tall round-headed arch. Loggia of 3-bays to either side with clerestory windows containing iron chevron- patterned glazing bars. The return range of eleven bays, similarly fenestrated to both ground and 1st floors, with doors treated in the same manner. Outer bays with overhanging eaves; central bays with stepped parapets surmounted by urns and central flagstaff over municipal coat of arms. Contemporary fittings include bronze lamps. Interior: hall with massive unadorned round-headed arches of three orders (to front range); tie-rod roof; part-glazed. Several contemporary features include ticket offices with chevron and other art-deco style glazing patterns. A fine restrained composition in the simplified classical style popular at the time. Historical note: the first commercial shore- based Radar station in the world for the navigation of ships was installed at the Seacombe Terminal buildings in 1947.

Listing NGR: SJ3256090800

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 32560 90800

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258535 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2018 at 04:37:26.

End of official listing