1 AND 2, MERCHANT'S ROW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1258717
Date first listed:
22-Dec-1953
Statutory Address:
1 AND 2, MERCHANT'S ROW

Map

Ordnance survey map of 1 AND 2, MERCHANT'S ROW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258717 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 20:17:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
1 AND 2, MERCHANT'S ROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Scarborough (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TA 04562 88688

Details

MERCHANT'S ROW 1. 1605 (South Side) Nos 1 and 2 TA 0488 4/128 22.12.53.

II GV

2. Symmetrical pair mid to late C18. 3 storeys and attics, ashlar stone with chamfered quoins, sill courses to upper floors. Bracketed moulded wood cornice. Mansard slate roof of later date. 2 flat dormers. 2 windows with later glazing to upper floors and later canted bay windows to ground floor. Central pair of modern doors but retaining original surround of stone Doric piers in rusticated stone arch with false fanlight over all. 2 small central windows inserted on 1st floor. Interior has had numerous alterations, the turned balusters of open string staircase have been boxed in, on 1st floor front room has been divided but retains cornice and panelling, the rear room has panelled dado the fireplace with overmantel panel flanked by full height Doric pilasters.

Nos 1, 2 and 3 form a group.

Listing NGR: TA0456288688

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
445443
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/05783/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].