WARKLEIGH HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1258734
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
WARKLEIGH HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WARKLEIGH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258734 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 23:22:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
WARKLEIGH HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Satterleigh and Warkleigh
National Grid Reference:
SS 65547 22926

Details

SS 62 SE SATTERLEIGH AND WARKLEIGH 4/190 Warkleigh House - GV II

Former rectory, now private dwelling. 1844 by Abbott of Barnstaple. Rendered stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roof with shaped bargeboards. Apex cross to entrance porch. Rendered stacks with triple shafts with moulded caps. Plan. Consists of 3 parallel ranges, the rear range recessed slightly to left (garden) side and extending well to the right as service wing. The front ranges are 2 rooms wide with a wide entrance passage which runs axially from the symmetrical 3- bay entrance front including 2-storey entrance porch, through the 3 ranges to the single storey polygonal rear porch. 3 principal rooms to left of the passage, and 2 rooms flanking principal staircase to right side, with service rooms housed in the projecting right-hand section of the rear range. Tudor Gothic style. 2 storeys with attic storey. Symmetrical 3-bay entrance front, asymmetrical garden front. All fenestration intact with transomed windows with diamond latticed glazing pattern and hoodmoulds, French windows to ground floor. Entrance front has a 2- light window above French window to each side of 2-storey entrance porch with 18<4 date plaque above 4-centred arched doorway with heavily moulded surround of double- engaged colonettes. Quatrefoil and mouchette traceried spandrels. Cartouche over inner doorway with inscription Gloria in Excelsis Deo flanking Star of David. Porch has single light window to each floor on each side. 3-gabled garden front, the 2 right-hand gables forming symmetrical composition of two 2-light windows above French windows with single light attic windows in the gable. Recessed gabled bay at left and has a 3-light window'over French windows. Conservatory extends to left with brick plinth, glazed above, canted bay at the front with Adam style fanlights to the doorway. Interior. Brief inspection suggested C19 joinery entirely intact. The entrance hall and porch ceilings are plain vaulted. Warkleigh House was built by William Thorold as a rectory in 1844, close to the old Parsonage (q.v.). His family retained the house on his death in 1888. A new rectory (the present Old Rectory) was subsequently established nearby, with the result that the small settlement of Warkleigh has 3 former parsonages within a short distance of each other.

Listing NGR: SS6554722926

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
445591
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10271/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Ann Allen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].