CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1258740

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258740 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 06:23:05.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Satterleigh and Warkleigh

National Grid Reference: SS 66814 22522

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS 62 SE SATTERLEIGH AND SATTERLEIGH WARKLEIGH 4/194 Church of St Peter 20.2.67 GV I

Parish church. Principally early C15, but may incorporate earlier fabric, interior remodelled in C18, chancel restored 1852. South side of nave and south porch painted and rendered, otherwise unrendered stone rubble, chancel walls roughly coursed with ashlar quoins and dressings. Weatherboarded bell-cote. Small parish church comprising nave with bellcote at west end, south porch and chancel only. C19 fenestration with straight-headed window of 3 trefoil headed lights to right of porch. Pointed arched windows of 2 trefoil headed lights to each side of chancel, and to east and west ends. South porch has virtually semi-circular arched doorway with hollow-moulded surround with C19 timber gate. Plain ceiled barrel roof. Fine C15 timber inner doorway, ogee-headed with shallow hollow and ogee moulded surround in straight-headed similarly moulded surround. Original ledged door of 2 wide planks with strap hinges, old lock and handle. External wall monuments to south side of nave to Robert Hatch d. 1699 to left of porch (recorded as being inside the Church in 1844) and to right of porch to Grace Webber d.1801 and John Webber d.1823 by Manning and to William Melhuish Esq. d.1770. Below east window, small stone with triangulated head to Thomas Collins d.1752. Interior. Plain ceiled waggon roofs to nave and chancel, that to nave with 3 moulded ribs with carved bosses to the ridge, and ornately carved ceilure of 12 panels with moulded ribs and diagonal struts with carved bosses at the intersections. Chancel. Nowy-headed commandment boards with moulded timber surrounds to each side of east window. C19 altar rails and small altar table. Patterned tiled floor. Nave. Principally C19 or early C20 nave seating with decorative carved bench ends, but some C16 carved bench ends survive towards west end on south side of nave. Tympanum over site of rood inscribed probably in early C19 with the Creed and Lords Prayer, the sides filled with scroll-work bearing verses. Hat-pegs survive at intervals on each side of nave and chancel. Probably early C18 pulpit with panelled faceted drum with wooden tester over with moulded cornice, and desk to north side incorporating turned candlestick. On north side of nave is a painted C18 cartouche with the opening 2 verses of Psalm 95. Painted Royal Arms of 1726 over south door. Perpendicular-style font, octagonal, with quatrefoil panels. Stained glass in east window to James Gould Esq and wife, both died 1857. Wall monument to chancel south side to Henry Byre Esq. d.1821 and wife, with heraldic crest in oval medallion to base. Satterleigh Church is remarkable for its diminutive scale, its bell-cote, and the richness of its interior fittings, including C15 ceilure, C16 bench ends, C18 pulpit, tester and tympanum and painted text and modest C19 restoration.

Listing NGR: SS6681422523

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 445597

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing