CHURCH OF ST JOHN
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST JOHN
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258818.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 23:16:02.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST JOHN
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Devon (District Authority)
- Satterleigh and Warkleigh
- National Grid Reference:
- SS 64232 22799
SS 62 SW SATTERLEIGH WARKLEIGH
3/197 Church of st.John
Parish church. Probably C13 fabric to north wall of nave and chancel, remodelled
and enlarged with addition of south aisle in early C15, west tower late C15/early
C16. Chancel rebuilt 1850, nave roof renewed 1867, and general restoration of 1869.
Tower restored 1883. Unrendered stone rubble with ashlar dressings, tower of
ashlar. Slate roofs with coped parapets to gable ends.
Plan: Nave, chancel, west tower, south aisle and south porch. Fine west tower of 3
stages with diangonal buttresses, embattled parapet and crocketed pinnacles
diagonally braced. Internal stair turret to north-west corner. Straight-headed
bell-openings to each face of 2 4-centred arched lights with louvres and hoodmoulds
single 4-centred arched light to south side, middle stage with relieving arch. C19
Perpendicular style 3 light pointed arched west window with hoodmould above
Perpendicular virtually semi-circular arched west doorway with hollow-ogee moulded
surround and large rams horn stops.
South aisle has C19 Perpendicular style fenestration with pointed arched 2-light
windows to west end and to left of porch, and pointed arched 3-light windows to
right, two to south side, and to east end of south aisle and chancel. Straight-
headed single light window to each side of chancel and two 2-light pointed arched
windows each to north side of chancel and nave, those to nave have human head
corbels. South porch largely rebuilt in C19 with hollow-ogee moulded surround to
outer doorway and C15 inner doorway with double ogee and sunk chamfered moulded
surround with original framed and ledged studded plank door with old lock, latch and
Weathered sundial between two windows to right of porch and 4-centred arched priests
doorway at right end. Blocked doorway between two windows to north side of chancel.
4 external wall memorials below south aisle east end window to Elizabeth Snow (d.
1752), John Hill (d. 1792) and Laurence How (d. 1752) and Robert Howe (d. 1758) all
with shaped heads. Slate wall memorials below chancel east end window to William
Hill (d. 1828) and Mary Hill (d. 1827), both by Manning. Large buttress to east end
by north side of nave.
Interior: South aisle and chancel chapel arcade of 4 bays, the piers of Pevsner B
type with capitals only to the main shaft. The chancel bay is wider than the others
and has a double arch with a cusped headed squint through the west pier and an image
bracket between the mouldings of the eastern pier. Wide 4-centred arched chancel
arch with Pevsner 'A' type mouldings.
C19 ceiled wagon roofs to nave and chancel with moulded ribs and large carved bosses
at the intersections with the purlins. Crenellated wall plate to chancel. South
aisle has C15 ceiled wagon roof with moulded wall plate and carved bosses at the
intersections of the moulded ribs and purlins.
Patterned C19 tiled floors throughout. C19 nave seating. Stone reredos a memorial
to Frances Elizabeth Thorold (d.1904), 2 bays flanking 4 raised bays with open
tracery filled with mosaic panels to sides and geometrical patterned tiles to centre
bays. C19 altar rails with trefoil headed open traceried lights. Tower screen
composed of re-used chancel screen of 5 bays each bay of 2 lights divided by
elaborate turned engaged colonnettes to the base and Renaissance foilage and profile
heads in medallions above.
The unique Warkleigh Pyx (See Baring Gould: Transactions of the Exeter Diocesan
Architectural Society 1892) under repair at time of survey.
Stained glass: chancel east window to John and Mary Mortimer 1892. South aisle east
window by Heaton Butler and Bayne 1897 to Preston and Emily Karslake. Tower window
to James Gould 1852.
Listing NGR: SS6423222799
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Transactions of the the Exeter Diocesan Architectural and Archaeological Society' in Transactions of the the Exeter Diocesan Architectural and Archaeological Society, (1892)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing