CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1258836
Date first listed:
11-Feb-1965
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258836 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 01:16:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wychavon (District Authority)
Parish:
White Ladies Aston
National Grid Reference:
SO 92209 52703

Details

WHITE LADIES ASTON SO 95 SW WHITE LADIES ASTON

5/842 Church of St John the Baptist 11.2.65 II*

Parish church. C12 nave and chancel; circa C15 west bell-turret and nave roof; north aisle and vestry added in 1861; south porch added in 1864. Stone rubble with freestone dressings; weatherboarded timber-framed bell-turret and broach spire. Plain tile roofs. Chancel has small round-headed lancet on N and S sides and in east wall. C12 round-headed nave south doorway with imposts. 2-light south windows with straight heads. INTERIOR walls plastered. Plaster covered nave ceiling with circa C15 roof above with curved braces to the collars and common-rafter couples. The chancel roof is ceiled, but one queen-post truss is exposed. Deeply chamfered round chancel arch with imposts. 1861 3-bay north arcade. Timber-framed bell-turret on timber posts inside west end of nave, surmounted by timber broach spire; bell-frame intact. Medieval 12-sided font with ribs on the comers. C18 monuments on chancel walls. Victorian furnishings. SOURCE: Buildings of England, p.288.



Listing NGR: SO9220952703

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
445404
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 288

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06937/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].