This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NUMBERS 1 TO 15 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 1 TO 15 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1258881

Location

NUMBERS 1 TO 15 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, REGENCY CLOSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Swale

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Aug-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 445789

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 9175 SW REGENCY CLOSE Sheerness Dockyard 933/2/90 Nos 1-15 ( Consecutive ) and attached railings 15.3.77

GV II*

Terrace of officers' houses, now 15 houses and offices. c1829-33, by George ledwell Taylor, architect to the Navy Board, and John Rennie Snr, engineer. Yellow stock brick with rubbed brick heads and rendered dressings, party wall and end gable ridge brick ridge stacks, and slate mansard roof. Late Georgian style. PLAN: double-depth plan, possibly originally back-to-back houses divided into two at the rear. EXTERIOR: each 2 storeys, attic and basement; 5-window range. The terrace has a rendered plat band, cornice and blocking course; each house has a central timber porch with paired pilasters, cornice and blocking course, with architraves to the doorway with double 6-panel door with raised panels, and to 9-pane windows to the sides. Flat-headed windows have 6/6- pane sashes and rendered reveals, and flat-headed attic dormers have 6/6-pane sashes. Similar rear with early C20 lavatories projecting over central entrances on iron posts; the windows of each section spaced 3:2 with the door to the left. INTERIOR: the front houses have a central hall, enriched cornices, panelled shutters and doors, the rear, with similar fittings, has a curved dogleg stair from the entrance hall with stick balusters, fluted newel and curtail, and an inner back door with stained glass margin panes. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron basement area spear-headed railings with urn finials. HISTORY: housed Yard Officers, a matching design to the adjoining Commissioner's House (qv) and referred to as "Houses for Inferior Officers" (Coad). It is accordingly less grand than Nos 1-8 Naval Terrace (qv). There was proportionately more accommodation at Sheerness than the other dockyards because of the remoteness of the site. The original internal planning is unclear, but each house may always have been divided into three. Unlike the other Royal dockyards, Sheerness was all rebuilt at the same time. Forms part of the little-altered SE corner of Rennie's model layout, containing the entrance, chapel and officers' accommodation, and part of a unique planned early (19 dockyard. (Sources: Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 54; Rennie Sir J: The Formation and Construction of British and Foreign Harbours: London: 1851: 41; Sheerness, The Dockyard, Defences and Blue Town: 1995: 1).



Listing NGR: TQ9134375114

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Sheerness The Dockyard Defences and Blue Town, (1995), 1
Coad, J G, The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Architecture and Engineering Works of the Sailing Navy, (1989), 54
Rennie, J, The Formation and Construction of British and Foreign Harbours, (1851), 41

National Grid Reference: TQ 91343 75114

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258881 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 01:36:08.

End of official listing