Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1258889

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1961

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258889 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Jan-2019 at 23:10:46.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: South Barrow

National Grid Reference: ST6017227892


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SOUTH BARROW CP ST62NW SOUTH BARROW VILLAGE 4/131 Church of St Peter 24.3.61 GV II* Anglican parish church. C14 or earlier. chancel added and church much restored in 1850. Local lias stone cut and squared, Cary stone dressings; plain clay tile roofs with ornamental clay ridge-pieces between stepped coped gables. Two-cell plan of 2-bay chancel and 3-bay nave, with south porch and west tower. Chancel has plinth. angled corner buttresses, band course at cill level and eaves course; 3-light C15 style east window with arched label having square stops; plain rectangular chamfered windows in north and south walls, one only to the former. Nave has plinth, cill band, eaves course; paired lancet windows under double arched labels; on north wall a projection for the rood loft staircase, with small pierced light. South porch to match, with clasped corner buttresses, chamfered pointed outer arch and segmental inner arch, with dog-tooth label over doorway. Tower of 2 stages; plinth, string course, angled corner buttresses to full height, battlemented parapet which formerly had corner pinnacles; moulded 4-centre arched West door under square label with square stops, quatrefoils in spandrils; above a 3-light late C14 traceried window with arched label extended as a string; otherwise plain on lower stage; above, 2-light traceried windows in hollowed arched recesses having pierced stone baffles, one to each face, with additional single-light window below on south side: on north-east corner a square plan stair turret with pitched stone roof and slit windows. The interior simple, C19 in character. Chancel has moulded ribbed and boarded roof vault; a Cl4 sedilia, two blocked pointed arched recesses in north wall, and a C13 style chancel arch. Nave has similar roof, and tall wide tower arch, probably early C14, with bell-capitals to long single jamb shafts; most of rood loft stair survives in north wall, Fittings include Laudian altar rail and simple C17 altar table, C17 timber pulpit on C19 stone base, also a small sexton's desk of C17, and a number of C15 bench ends with a variety of carvings; font a chamfered cuboid bowl, lettered "1584/RM/SM", on possibly earlier shaft with attached corner shafts. Monuments include an engraved brass plate dated 1584, First recorded incumbent 1312. (Greenwood C and J, Somerset Delineated, 1822; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST6018127892


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 445801

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Greenwood, C, Greenwood, J , Somerset Delineated, (1822)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

End of official listing