NORTH GATE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1258983

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Aug-1999

Statutory Address: NORTH GATE HOUSE, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of NORTH GATE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258983 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 00:57:07.

Location

Statutory Address: NORTH GATE HOUSE, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Swale (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 91298 75260

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 9175 SW MAIN ROAD (North side), Sheerness Dockyard

2/99 North Gate House 15.03.1977 GV II

Guard house and police office, now offices. c1826 by George Ledwell Taylor, architect to the Navy Board and Sir John Rennie, engineer, extended late C19. Yellow stock brick with rubbed brick headers, granite plinth and limestone dressings, brick ridge and lateral stacks, and slate hipped roof. Late Georgian style. PLAN: 2-room single depth plan with stairs against outer dockyard wall. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 4-window range with 3-window S end and lower 1-window N block. A wide granite band beneath ground-floor windows, first-floor sill band, cornice and parapet; round-arched ground-floor windows in matching recesses; flat-headed first-floor windows, with 6/6-pane sashes; E elevation with blind windows against the stair apart from second bay from N. S entrance end rendered to the windowless ground floor, has an E round-arched doorway with fanlight with a central round pane and a 6-panel door with glazed top lights, first floor 6/6-pane sash over doorway and 2 blind windows. W windows all glazed, the lower N extension has paired ground-floor 4/4-pane sashes, and a single 4/4-pane sash above, N lateral stack and a single-storey N lavatory with parapet. INTERIOR contains a dogleg stair from the entrance with iron stick balusters and curtail, 6-panel doors, plain cornices and stone fire surrounds. HISTORY: originally the police house at the entrance to Sheerness Naval Dockyard, and formed the north entrance lodge. Connected to the E boundary wall (qv) and formerly linked to the S lodge (Nos 1 and 2 Main Gate (qv)) opposite by a granite colonnade. Unlike the other royal dockyards, Sheerness was all rebuilt at the same time. Within the little altered SE corner of Rennie's model layout, containing offices, the chapel and the officers' accommodation, and part of a unique planned early C19 dockyard. (Source: Rennie Sir J: The Formation and Construction of British and Foreign Harbours: London: 1851: 41 ).



Listing NGR: TQ9129875260

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 445983

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Rennie, J, The Formation and Construction of British and Foreign Harbours, (1851), 41

End of official listing