FORMER PAY OFFICE BUILDING NUMBER 104

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1258985
Date first listed:
18-Jan-1972
Date of most recent amendment:
13-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
FORMER PAY OFFICE BUILDING NUMBER 104, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER PAY OFFICE BUILDING NUMBER 104
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258985 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 23:39:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER PAY OFFICE BUILDING NUMBER 104, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Swale (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 91203 75234

Details

TQ 9175 SW MAIN ROAD (North side), Sheerness Dockyard 933/2/104 Former Pay Office, Building 18.01.1972 No.104

GV II

Pay office, now offices. 1828, probably by William Miller, Admiralty architect, and Sir John Rennie, engineer; altered 1892, repaired and extended after fire 1980s. Yellow stock brick with stone dressings, and slate hipped roof. PLAN: central axial hall with offices and pay room in the W bay and guard room in the 2 E bays, with 1987 single-room extension to the north. EXTERIOR: 2-storeys and basement; 5-bay front with 6-bay sides. Symmetrical front with plat band, cornice and blocking course, the three central bays set back, rubbed brick heads to round-arched windows all round, those in the front in matching recesses. Outer 2-light and inner 4-light transom windows with fanlights, central doorway with 2-leaf panelled doors, flat-headed first-floor 616-pane thin-bar sashes; formerly entrance to the left of the doorway. Matching side elevations, the E side with doorways at both ends. Rear formerly as the front, has 1987 2-storey extension, slightly lower but modelled on the front, with a 2 Tuscan columns to a flat canopy. INTERIOR not inspected, but reported to contain three cast-iron Tuscan columns along the axis of the hall, cantilevered stone open well stair to the right of the door (formerly another at the opposite end), NW strong room with an iron door, basement with fish-belly cast-iron joists across central passage; king post roof. HISTORY: built during the second phase of work in the Yard, after the dock walls and engineering works were complete. Has some similarities with the Pay Offices at Devonport and Portsmouth, both of which contain fire-proof elements (qqv). Unlike the other Royal dockyards, Sheerness was rebuilt all at the same time. The Pay Office is part of the complete north-east section of the Yard, part of a unique planned C19 dockyard. (Sources: Rennie Sir J: The Formation and Construction of British and Foreign Harbours: London: 1851: 41 ; Sheerness, The Dockyard, Defences and Blue Town: 1995: NMR BI 93279).



Listing NGR: TQ9120375234

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
445988
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Rennie, J, The Formation and Construction of British and Foreign Harbours, (1851), 41

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04287/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ian Surita. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].