GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS RUNNING AS FAR AS WEST OF CHAPEL, WITH EXTENSION SOUTH ABUTTING CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1259059
Date first listed:
21-Oct-1974
Statutory Address:
GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS RUNNING AS FAR AS WEST OF CHAPEL, WITH EXTENSION SOUTH ABUTTING CHAPEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS RUNNING AS FAR AS WEST OF CHAPEL, WITH EXTENSION SOUTH ABUTTING CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259059 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 01:19:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS RUNNING AS FAR AS WEST OF CHAPEL, WITH EXTENSION SOUTH ABUTTING CHAPEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Marlborough
National Grid Reference:
SU 18349 68778

Details

MARLBOROUGH COLLEGE 1. 5407 Gatepiers, gates and railings running as far as west of chapel, with extension south abutting chapel SU 1868 5/271 II GV 2. 1876-7. Architect G E Street. Brick gatepiers with horizontal rustication, ashlar plinths, cornices, applied pediments, and ashlar ball finials. Piers either side of gates are paired, and linked by round arches with moulded voussoirs, modillion cornices and blocking courses. Other piers are single and are crowned by ashlar pediments alone. Brick dwarf wall with ashlar coping to railings. Elaborate wrought iron gates and railings. All G E Street's work at Marlborough College shows a remarkable mixture of Gothic, Romanesque and Baroque motifs. C House, B House, The Museum Block, The Arcade, The Bradleian Building, The North Block, the Porter's Lodge, gates and railings, the Chapel, and A House form a group.

Listing NGR: SU1834968778

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
446149
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/14974/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Steven Vaux. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].