This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1259106



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Dec-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 446262

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


QUEEN STREET 1. 1605 (West Side) Nos 13 and 13A (The Talbot Hotel) TA 0488 4/150 22.12.53.


2. Mid to late C18 with early C19 alterations, Formerly 2 separate houses, 3 storeys painted brick with basement. The centre part has bands between storeys, wood entablature with triglyph frieze. Low gable end slate roof. 4 2nd floor windows, flush framed sashes, glazing bars intact. Large 1st floor bow window, below 2 left hand windows, tripartite glazing bar sash lights, wood entablature, triglyph frieze. 2 storey and basement, similar bow under 2 upper right hand windows. Yard entrance to left hand on ground (altered and built in) with door of 6 panels, 4 glazed, with rectangular fanlight adjoining to right under Greek Doric porch of fluted columns and entablature. The left hand extension is of similar brickwork but with bracketed frieze and cornice with pantile roof. 2 windows flush framed glazing bar sashes to upper floors with large bow window to ground floor, tripartite glazing bar sash lights, moulded and denticulated cornice and iron anthemion cresting - plain door in arched opening to left hand. The right hand extension has similar entablature to main block but with dentils to cornice. 3 windows to 3rd floor, sashes glazing bars intact, 1 sash over door on 1st floor and 2 storey large canted bay, pilastered with moulded cornices, to ground and 1st floors. The door is of 6 fielded panels with semi-circular fanlight in panelled reveal with painted doorcase - similar to that of No 5 and 7 qv - engaged Corinthian columns, broken entablature with flat relief vases to each face, open pediment over. Interior has been much altered but the staircase of the former end house, No 13A, survives. Open string broad treads with shaped brackets and 3 close set turned balusters per tread, swept moulded handrail swept round at bottom of flight, panelled dado to wall.

Nos 5 to 13 (consec) and No 13A form a group.

Listing NGR: TA0433388756

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TA 04333 88756


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259106 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 10:08:38.

End of official listing