CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1259115

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1961

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259115 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 02:40:37.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: South Cadbury

National Grid Reference: ST 62433 24799

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTH CADBURY CP CHURCH HILL (West side) ST62SW SUTTON MONTIS 7/146 Church of the Holy Trinity 24.3.61 GV I Anglican parish church. Saxon origins; surviving work of C12 and all subseqent periods. Cary stone roughly cut and squared, Doulting stone dressings; chancel roof has plain clay tiles with bands of fish-scale, nave has stone slates, both between stepped coped gables. Two cell plan of 2-bay chancel and 3-bay nave, with low west tower, and north-west vestry. Chancel C12 and late C13, restored 1862: chamfered plinth, pairs corner and bay buttresses, all with offset, with headstop kneeler stones to gable coping: east window 3-light Geometric tracery under arched label with headstops, and below and to sides, set into wall, 3 C18 memorial plaques in keystoned architraved surrounds to members of Barton family (who provided rectors from 1573 to 1878 without break); extending from east buttresses a railed area with C18 wrot iron railings having spear-point tips and 3 cast-iron finials: on north side a 2-light C13 window, just post-plate tracery, under arched label with headstops, and wall lean to vestry with dated quoinstone of 1847, with east window to match north chancel window: on south side two similar windows, with indications of blocked doorway under westernmost; on centre buttress a sundial. Nave largely rebuilt 1805: buttresses with with offsets each end: on south side two 3-light windows, to left of portico a plain triple lancet, to right 3 ogee-arched lights with carved spandrils, both without labels; the portico presumably of 1805, Tuscan columns and pilasters on cube block bases carrying full plain entablature with pediment and pitched lead-covered roof: plain doorway with Gothic style door installed to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee 1897: north side has two Y-tracery windows without labels, with lean-to C20 heating chamber below. Tower low and squat, C12 origins, restored 1904; one stage only, with chamfered plinth, no buttress, simple upper string course below castellated parapet with corner obelisk pinnacles, C18 style: moulded pointed arched west door without label; above it a 3-light C15 traceried window of irregular geometry set in hollow-chamfered recess: above this a pair of slim lancet windows without label, matched by similar pairs on north and south sides, the latter off-centre, and on east side simple lancet to either side of pitched roof: square plan south east corner stair turret with lean-to stone roof with slit windows on east side. Inside, work of variety of periods. Chancel C13 in character: 19 roof and arch into organ chamber vestry: windows have fully-moulded rere-arches with attached bell cap shafts and arched labels on bell-capital corbels; partly restored C13 piscina in south-east corner. Chancel arch of early C12, with quintuple chevron mould under shaved-off label, plain chamfered impost blocks, and on nave side attached shafts one with fluted cap, the other with acanthus type foliage, and to south of arch a large squint: roof has molded timber rib and plaster panel ceiling with decorative bosses, possibly 1805; plain pointed arch with chamfered impost blocks into tower, late C12/early C13. Fittings in chancel C19, and nave pews installed 1912; fine early C17 timber pulpit with matching panelling, under C18 tester, all relocated from other side of chancel arch; font C15, octagonal with quatrefoil panels, moulded waterbowl and panelled shaft. Memorials include engraved brass in chancel to Jacobi Dupont, Lord of the Manor, died 1590; in nave, on north wall, tablet in architraved surround with semi-circular panel over to Ann Dymock, died 1735, also hatchment board dated 1805. Fragments of early medieval stained glass in west window. Photographs of church before 1912 show original site of pulpit, sexton's desk, and west end gallery, also featured in a cartoon of the church choir/band dated 1827. Tower has 3 bells of 1764, 1420 (Bristol) and 1636. One of few churches in this area not reconstructed in C14 or C15. (Holy Trinity Church of Sutton Montis, leaflet in church, no date; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, l958).

Listing NGR: ST6243324799

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 445809

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Church Guide: Holy Trinity Church of Sutton Montis
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

End of official listing