TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1259171

Date first listed: 31-Jan-1997

Statutory Address: TOWN HALL, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259171 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 02:39:59.

Location

Statutory Address: TOWN HALL, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: High Peak (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 05832 73328

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUXTON

SK0573SE MARKET PLACE 616-1/4/61 (North side) Town Hall

II

Town hall. 1887-8, altered C20. Designed by W Pollard of Manchester. Coursed millstone grit with ashlar dressings and steeply pitched Welsh slate roofs with ornamental cast-iron railing. PLAN: T-plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, with attic and basement. North 5 window symmetrical front, articulated with rusticated pilasters, moulded entablature and paired Tuscan pilasters above with cornice, entablature and plain coped parapet. Slightly projecting central frontispiece has moulded round arched entrance with double panel doors and curved keystone and ornate carved spandrels, flanked by broad rusticated pilasters with panels. Central steps have flanking walls topped with 4 ornate iron lamps. Either side 2-light sashes with moulded ashlar surrounds and beyond single tripartite sashes in similar surrounds. Above central Venetian window flanked by pairs of Corinthian columns supporting pediment, topped by panelled section with parapet, urns and tall pyramidal roof with iron railings. Either side pairs of round headed sashes in moulded surrounds with pilasters and keystones, beyond single Venetian windows in similar surrounds, above small gables with date panels topped with pediments. South 5-window symmetrical front, articulated with banded pilasters, moulded entablature, pairs of pilasters with cornice and coped parapet. Central entrance with double panel doors and sidelights plus carved round headed centre. Either side 2 round headed openings with moulded arches and keystones, those to left with roller shutters and those to right with 3-light C20 windows. Above central Venetian window with moulded ashlar surround, flanked by single sashes in similar surrounds, flanked by Venetian windows. Central tower has raised attic with 3 circular windows and a pediment. Above square tower with clock under segmental pediment to each face, topped with octagonal cupola of 8 Corinthian columns and a bell canted dome with finial. End bays have tall pavilion roofs with cast-iron railings. Side facades have end pavilions reflecting main fronts, with between, single storey ground floor with paired windows and set back above round headed first-floor windows with

buttresses between to former ballroom. INTERIOR: altered and sub-divided C20. 1st floor ball room now offices. Originally the building had 3 staircases down to cellars which were barrel vaulted and contained market stalls. 2 opposing staircases survive that lead up from the central corridor; they are of cast-iron with wooden rails. Some wood panelling, panelled doors and mosaic flooring survives. Also some contemporary furnishings. Clock in tower given by Duke of Devonshire's tenants (1889) in memory of the assassination of Lord Frederick Cavendish, Dublin 1882. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire: Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 113).



Listing NGR: SK0583273328

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463185

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, (1953), 113

End of official listing