This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ST SAMPSONS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ST SAMPSONS

List entry Number: 1259289

Location

ST SAMPSONS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463049

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051NW CHURCH STREET 1112-1/28/169 (South East side) 14/06/54 St Sampson's (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH STREET St Sampson's Social Centre for Old People)

GV II

Formerly known as: Church of St Sampson, Girdlergate. Parish church, now Day Centre. Late C15 tower retained in rebuilding of 1845-48; third stage added to tower in 1910. Church made redundant in 1969, converted to day centre 1974. C19 rebuilding by Frederick Bell. MATERIALS: magnesian limestone; parallel roofs of tile and pantile to church, and stone slate roof to vestry. EXTERIOR: 2-bay chancel with east vestry, continuous 3-bay aisled nave with north and south doors, on weathered and chamfered plinth; internal west tower. Building encircled by diagonal and intermediate 2-stage gabled buttresses with offsets. Triple-gabled east end has 2-centred windows of 3 lights, chancel window with cusped intersecting tracery, north aisle window curvilinear tracery, and south aisle window cusped ogee-headed lights and panel tracery. Sill-string beneath chancel and north aisle windows. Vestry has board door to south, in shouldered opening, and 2-light chamfered mullion window to north, in chamfered opening. Westernmost bay of north side has reset C15 traceried door in moulded 2-centred arched doorway. Windows are of 2 cinquefoiled lights in square-headed double chamfered openings; those in eastern bays have ogee heads with panel tracery above embattled transoms, the others 2-centred heads and mouchette tracery. South side repeats north side, with pointed south door of six raised and fielded panels in re-used moulded doorway. All windows and doorways have hoodmoulds on block corbels. 3-stage embattled and buttressed tower has 4-light west window in pointed chamfered opening beneath hoodmould on foliate stops. Belfry openings to north and south are paired louvred lights with trefoiled heads, deeply recessed in splayed round-arched openings; to west, restored canopied niche containing a statue of St Sampson. Each face on third stage has opening of 3 trefoiled lights, blocked below chamfered transom by stone panels pierced by cross-loops, louvred above, and with panel tracery in the 4-centred head. Aisle windows are of 3 lights in chamfered openings with 2-centred heads, that to north with cusped intersecting tracery, that to south with cinquefoiled lights and panel tracery. INTERIOR: 5-bay north and south arcades of double chamfered pointed arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and chamfered bases, westernmost columns attached to tower piers.

Tower piers are octagonal and ogee-stopped on to square chamfered bases. Tower arches die into piers, inner order to east arch springing from heraldic demi-angels. Single order rere-arch to west window springs from similar angel to north, and from defaced angel wing to south. Pointed board door in narrow doorway beneath hoodmould at east end of south aisle leads to vestry. At east end of north aisle, trefoil-headed piscina. In blocking of chancel arch, east side, reset octagonal stoup with pendant base and lead lined basin in arched recess: shaped marble tablet commemorating church rebuilding in 1848. Benefaction board in architrave with broken pedimented head, repainted in 1844. C19 roofs incorporating re-used C15 bosses. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 44-46).



Listing NGR: SE6038651911

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 44-46

National Grid Reference: SE 60386 51911

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259289 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 01:58:40.

End of official listing