Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1259333

Date first listed: 19-Aug-1971

Statutory Address: 9 AND 11, CASTLEGATE


Ordnance survey map of 9 AND 11, CASTLEGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259333 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 11:57:25.


Statutory Address: 9 AND 11, CASTLEGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60398 51641


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE6051NW CASTLEGATE 1112-1/28/137 (North East side) 19/08/71 Nos.9 AND 11


House, now offices, flats and cafe. 1766, probably with early C18 origins; subdivided and staircase wing added c1795; rear extension c1840; further alterations in C20. For George Ewbank, chemist. MATERIALS: front of orange-brown brick in Flemish bond, with doorcase and moulded first floor cornice of stone; timber console cornice to eaves beneath low brick parapet with stone coping; slate roof with brick stacks. Rear extension of brick in Flemish and stretcher bonds with moulded timber eaves cornice, hipped slate roof and brick stack. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 4-window front. Central door of 6 fielded panels beneath radial fanlight in round-arched architrave in plain doorcase with open pediment hood on grooved consoles with acanthus pendants. To left, altered ground floor has wide tripartite window with small-pane glazing and C20 panelled double doors, beneath bold moulded cornice at first floor level. To right, 12-pane sash with painted stone sill and cambered arch, and end window altered to recessed glazed door approached by steps. First floor windows are 12-pane sashes of differing dates, with painted sills continuing as sill band; two to right have cambered arches, those to left segmental brick arches. On second floor are two 12-pane sashes with cambered arches to right, and to left, one squat 6-pane sash with segmental arch: all have painted stone sills. Rear: 9 has radial-glazed staircase window between 12-pane sashes with cambered arches. Brick dentil eaves course beneath low parapet incorporating vestigial gable above junction with rear wing. Rear wing has radial-glazed staircase window in the return and timber eaves cornice. INTERIOR: No.9 has open string winder staircase from ground to second floor, with slender turned balusters, shaped treadends, and serpentine moulded handrail, wreathed at foot around turned newel on shaped curtail step. Rear room on ground floor has heavy moulded cornice. No.11 has staircase of cantilevered stone treads with cast-iron stick balusters and moulded, ramped-up handrail, wreathed at foot around turned column newel on shaped curtail step. Front room on ground floor has heavy moulded spine and transverse beams enriched with dentils, and moulded dentilled cornice. Front and rear rooms on first floor, and front room on second floor, have fireplaces in bolection moulded surrounds with moulded and dentilled cornice shelves. 3-panel attic door at head of stairs to second floor. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 111).

Listing NGR: SE6039651643


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463007

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 111

End of official listing