This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

31, CASTLEGATE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 31, CASTLEGATE

List entry Number: 1259341

Location

31, CASTLEGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463015

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051NW CASTLEGATE 1112-1/28/145 (North East side) 24/06/83 No.31

GV II

Office, now restaurant. 1825-6, with C20 alteration. By PF Robinson and GT Andrews for their own use. Front of orange brick in Flemish bond, English garden wall bond to right return; overhanging boarded eaves and brick stacks to slate hipped roof. EXTERIOR: raised ground floor on semi-basement; 2-bay front to Castlegate. Renewed 6-panel door in basement, to left; on ground floor, to right, 12-pane sash window with painted stone sill and flat arch of gauged brick. Rear: altered openings in basement. Two 12-pane sash windows to upper floor. Right return: 5 bays. Gabled round-arched porch projects in centre, with renewed 6-panel door and divided overlight. In basement, small-pane windows with segmental arches, the one to left of door 2x6-pane horizontal sliding sash. Full-height external shouldered stacks in bays flanking entrance. INTERIOR: reset late C18 chimneypieces in rooms on ground floor (former drawing offices): that in larger room has fluted pilaster jambs with acanthus capitals, frieze with moulded urn and leaf motifs, and enriched cornice shelf: replacement grate has late C19 tiled slips. In smaller room, fireplace has tapered fluted pilaster jambs and moulded enriched frieze with composition urns and plain centre block. HISTORICAL NOTE: plans submitted by PF Robinson and GT Andrews for remodelling the adjacent York Castle were accepted in 1825 and executed between 1826-35 and susequently demolished. This building functioned as Andrews' office until his death in 1855, and was used by successive partners in the practice until 1891. It is probably the earliest surviving purpose-built architects office. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 113).



Listing NGR: SE6048151561

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 113

National Grid Reference: SE 60481 51560

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259341 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 07:29:22.

End of official listing