CHURCH OF SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1259380
Date first listed:
31-Jan-1997
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN, DALE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259380.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 00:43:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN, DALE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
High Peak (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 05902 72958

Details

BUXTON

SK0572NE DALE ROAD 616-1/6/31 (South side) Church of St Mary the Virgin

II

Church. 1914-1915. By P Currey and CC Thompson. Random rubble gritstone, with ashlar gritstone dressings. Steep Westmorland slate roofs with eyebrow dormers. STYLE: Arts and Crafts. PLAN: nave, with low north and south aisles, north and south porches, transepts, chancel and north and south vestries. EXTERIOR: west end has 4 tall graduated lancets, with relieving arch over central two, and clasping corner buttresses. Nave has two 3-light mullion aisle windows divided by prominent buttresses with above two 2-light eye-brow dormer windows. To west porches are topped with half-hipped roofs with deeply recessed pointed arched doorways with double doors and large iron hinges. Transepts each have a tall double lancet with oval window in pointed relieving arch and angle buttresses. Crossing topped with small square louvred bell lantern with pyramidal hipped roof. Chancel has 3 graduated lancets within a single pointed relieving arch with hoodmould. Below a lean-to passage with 2 single lancets linking gabled vestries at either side. Vestries project to east on both sides, both with 3 graduated lancets. All window openings have exterior ironwork. INTERIOR: white washed apart from grit stone dressings. Nave of 3 bays with coursed masonry piers. Aisle windows in splayed and shaped moulded surrounds. Pointed chancel arch, flanked by round headed arches. Paired rafters to roof. FITTINGS: good contemporary fittings. They include carved angels to corbels supporting rood beam to chancel arch, carved chancel screen, carved wooden pulpit on stone base (1913), and stone octagonal font with carved wooden cover. STAINED GLASS: stained glass with biblical themes to chancel and transepts. Nave has simple leaded rectangular lights with stained diamond panes. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire: Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 117; Howard W: The Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Buxton.: 1986-).

Listing NGR: SK0590272958

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
462969
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Howard, W , The Church of Saint Mary the Virgin Buxton, (1986)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, (1953), 117

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/10943/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Morten. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].