CHURCH OF ST ANNE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1259392

Date first listed: 25-Jan-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Jan-1997

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANNE, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANNE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259392 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 18:34:55.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANNE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: High Peak (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 05722 72975

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUXTON

SK0572NE CHURCH STREET 616-1/6/47 (West side (off)) 25/01/51 Church of St Anne (Formerly Listed as: HIGH PEAK HIGH STREET Church of St Anne)

II*

Parish church. 1625, incorporating earlier building, 1715 vestry added, 1841 refurbished, 1894 enlarged and 1956 roof restored. Rendered rubble, and dressed stone with ashlar dressings, and stone slate roof with plain cross finial to east and gabled bell-cote to west. PLAN: originally of simple rectangular plan, now L-plan. EXTERIOR: single storey. North side irregular 5-window range with from left to right a 2-light mullion window, a square single light window, a 3-light mullion window and a similar 2-light window, then a projecting porch with coped gable, cross finial and doorway with shouldered surround, plank door and strap hinges, inner door has chamfered arched surround with door hung on gudgeon pins. East front has through stones and exposed foundations visible. Single flat arched window with glazing bars and C20 glass. The east wall of the vestry is blank. South side has irregular 4-window range with from left to right a 3-light and a 2-light mullion windows and 2 single light window possibly mullioned originally. The vestry at right angles is cellared, with a door in the south-west angle, and a pair of long windows with flush ashlar surrounds to the south end gable. West side has single round window in segmental frame. INTERIOR: of 5 and 1/2 bays. Open trusses to Queen post roof, with staggered purlins and windbraces. The tie beams are heavily adzed, chamfered and stopped. Painted wooden tryptych and painted ceiling to sanctuary (angels saints and vines). Fittings: Saxon font with inscribed date of 1625. Some re-used Jacobean woodwork. Fine range of C18 wall monuments .C19 and early C20 stained glass; a window to the south side with 1906 GSA, and 2 windows (north side) by JE Nuttgens 1947. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire: Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 113; Stark JJ: St Anne's Church, Buxton.).

Listing NGR: SK0572272975

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 462938

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, (1953), 113
Stark, J J, St Anne's Church Buxton

End of official listing