GREAT TESTWOOD LODGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1259414

Date first listed: 17-Dec-1996

Statutory Address: GREAT TESTWOOD LODGE, 90, TESTWOOD LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GREAT TESTWOOD LODGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259414 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 23:12:05.

Location

Statutory Address: GREAT TESTWOOD LODGE, 90, TESTWOOD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: New Forest (District Authority)

Parish: Totton and Eling

National Grid Reference: SU 36051 14009

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TOTTON AND ELING

SU 31 SE TESTWOOD LANE, Totton

1860-0/5/10010 No.90 Great Testwood Lodge

II

Gateway lodge to country house. Mid to late C18, possibly by Capability Brown; extended C20. Red brick in Flemish bond with flint dressings. Pyramidal roof, re-clad in concrete tiles; moulded brick eaves cornice. Brick lateral stack on north side. PLAN: Square-on-plan Palladian lodge; one room on ground floor with entrance on the east side facing the drive and with C20 outshut on the north side and small C20 addition at the rear [west]. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and cellar. Ground floor brick and flint rustication with brick band above; each side one bay with large recessed round arch with a 3-light Diocletian-like window on the first floor, that on the south side has been converted to single-light sash and blind on the north side. Doorway on the east side with flush-panel door and late C19 tiled canopy on wooden braces. C19 4-pane sashes on the south side, small C20 glazed addition on the west side and C20 outshut on the north side. INTERIOR not inspected. NOTE: The lodge has been attributed to Capability Brown, who remodelled the grounds at Great Testwood in about 1765. The house, Great Testwood Park, was demolished in the 1930s. SOURCE: Stroud, D., Capability Brown, pp 108 and 242.







Listing NGR: SU3582014074

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 462918

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing