NUMBERS 39 AND 43 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1259455
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 39 AND 43 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 39 AND 43, BOOTHAM

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 39 AND 43 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259455.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2019 at 16:42:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 39 AND 43 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 39 AND 43, BOOTHAM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 60000 52362

Details

YORK

SE5952SE BOOTHAM 1112-1/12/73 (North East side) 14/06/54 Nos.39 AND 43 and attached railings

GV II

Formerly known as: Nos.39, 41 AND 43 BOOTHAM. Three houses, now two houses (No.43 and the former No.41 combined as one property and now part of school). 1748; altered c1800, late C19, and late C20. Builder Thomas Griffith. Brick in Flemish bond with painted stone dressings and tile roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys plus attic and cellar. 9 bays, with each former house of 3 bays. The facade has quoins with alternating rustication at the right, 2 storey bands, and a modillion gutter cornice. The windows have rubbed brick flat arches with keyblocks. They are sashed, and those to the right-hand 3 bays have had their glazing bars restored in the C20. The 2 right-hand ground-floor windows are a C20 reconstruction, replacing an inserted shopfront. The 2nd and 3rd bays have a 2-storey late C19 canted bay window. No.43 has 3 flat-roofed attic dormers. The left-hand bay of No.43 has a C19 doorcase with a dentilled pediment on console brackets, with a semicircular overlight, enriched keyblock, and a 6-panel door. The doorcase to No.39, in the 7th bay, has engaged reeded Composite columns with paterae above caps, enriched open pediment, fanlight, and swags and a mask in the tympanum. The door has 6 raised and fielded panels. To the right of the 3rd bay there is a lead hopper and downpipe. 3 axial chimneys behind ridge. INTERIOR: not inspected. Nos 39 and 43 were recorded by RCHM as retaining most of their original staircases, with open strings and turned balusters. Also recorded as retaining a fireplace and some panelling. No.45 (qv) at the left originally formed part of the same terrace but was re-fronted in the late C19. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: the basement area is enclosed by plain iron railings on low stone copings. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO London: 1975-: 56-7).



Listing NGR: SE6000052362

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
462874
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 56-7

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/10602/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Briggs. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].