THE WELLINGTON INN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1259535

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1994

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Statutory Address: THE WELLINGTON INN, 47, ALMA TERRACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE WELLINGTON INN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259535 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 08:19:00.

Location

Statutory Address: THE WELLINGTON INN, 47, ALMA TERRACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SE6068450528

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE6050NE 1112-1/25/22 09/03/94

YORK

ALMA TERRACE (South side) No.47 The Wellington Inn (Formerly Listed as: ALMA TERRACE No.47 The Wellington Inn and attached brewhouse)

II

Public house. c1850. Buff-brown brick in English garden-wall bond with painted stone dressings and timber eaves guttering on block brackets; slate roof at front, pantile at rear, with brick ridge stacks. EXTERIOR: 2-storey 3-bay symmetrical facade, with a 4th bay at right end over carriage arch. Central double doors of moulded panelling with divided overlight in lugged architrave with pulvinated frieze and scrolled pediment broken by central ball finial. Flanking windows have similar architraves without finial and are glazed with horizontal opening lights above plate glass windows divided by central colonnette mullion. Carriage arch is elliptical and closed by boarded garage doors. All first floor windows are 4 over 4-pane hung sashes. All windows have painted stone sills. Rear: ground floor partly obscured by later outbuildings. Central glazed and panelled door and 12-pane sash window to left sheltered by glazed pent porch on cast-iron columns. First floor windows are 12-pane sashes: all windows have painted stone sills and flat arches of brick. INTERIOR: traditional beerhouse plan with central passage flanked on one side by public bar with servery hatch and private back room: on the other by 2 small lounges. In both front rooms original fireplaces survive; rear right room lined with tongue and groove board panelling. Entrance passage is stone flagged. Staircase has shaped treadends, slender turned balusters and serpentine handrail wreathed at the foot. Some benches may be original. HISTORICAL NOTE: in 1867, the pub was known as Lawsons's Beerhouse; in 1887, the Sir Colin Campbell. (Dissertation for MA in Architectural Building Conservation: Davison Andrew P: "A Good House, fit for the purpose: Public House Design in York": De Montfort University: 1993-: 57).

Listing NGR: SE6068450528

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 462779

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing