Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259548.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2021 at 07:28:05.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

York (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 59996 51474



SE5951SE BISHOPHILL JUNIOR 1112-1/20/35 (North West side) 14/06/54 Church of St Mary Bishophill Junior


Parish church. C10 tower, heightened in early C11, repaired, reroofed and embattled c1411; late C11 nave with mid C12 north arcade and north aisle; early C13 chancel extended c1300; mid C14 south aisle and chancel north chapel; nave reroofed C15. South aisle extended in early C19. 1860 restoration included construction of south porch and new windows at east end and to south aisle. Tower restored 1980. MATERIALS: base of tower of Roman saxa quadrata beneath irregularly coursed magnesian limestone and gritstone rubble with herringbone brickwork bands. Remainder of church of gritstone and squared limestone with some rubble stone and ashlar dressings. Chancel chapel has hipped slate roof otherwise roofs on north side are tiled, those on south of slate. EXTERIOR: east end gable cross. 2-bay chancel with north vestry and organ chamber in former chancel chapel; 2-bay nave and north aisle; 3-bay south aisle; 4-stage west tower. East end has reconstructed 2-centred window of 3 uncusped lights with geometrical tracery, in double chamfered surround. North chapel has two segment-headed windows with trefoiled ogee heads and vestigial ogee tracery, largely renewed, in chamfered quoined surround. In south side of chancel is a round-arched door, with window of paired lancets to east and two single light windows to west. All openings in restored quoined and chamfered surrounds. Nave north aisle has plank door beneath chamfered 4-centred arch to east. To west of door, square-headed window of 2 trefoiled lights with cusped inverted ogee tracery. Further west, similar window, decaying, of 3 cusped lancets with trefoil tracery. South aisle has east end window with reticulated tracery in double chamfered surround. Gabled porch has 2-centred doorway of three chamfered orders which die into chamfered jambs, and corbelled hoodmould: within, the south door is hollow-chamfered and broach-stopped. Three 2-light windows with Decorated tracery, to aisle, 2 to east of porch, one to west. Tower is quoined and has embattled parapet with pinnacles. On ground stage, original west door replaced by round-headed window of paired round-arched lights on centre shaft with roll necking and cushion capital, in stepped surround beneath corbelled rolled hoodmould. To south, reconstructed square-headed window of 2 cusped ogee-arched lights. On second and third stages, to north and south, are slit lights. Belfry is set back above string course, and each side has paired round-arched belfry openings on turned centre shaft with

cushion capital, beneath stripwork arch on pilasters. West side opening is renewed. INTERIOR: chancel north arcade of 2 chamfered 2-centred arches on slim octagonal pier with moulded capital. Chancel arch is asymmetrical and 2-centred, of 2 chamfered orders, the inner corbelled, the outer continuous. Nave north arcade is round-arched, of 2 chamfered orders on cylindrical pier with hollow chamfered capital and base, and square responds with imposts chamfered on lower face. At east end, a pointed "confessional arch". South arcade of 2-centred, roll-moulded arches, the inner filleted, on cylindrical pier with roll necking, hollow-chamfered octagonal capital and torus and chamfered base. East respond is half cylindrical with similar detailing, but west respond mutilated. Quoined tower arch is round, of 2 stepped orders beneath hoodmould, on stepped double imposts on square section responds. Roofs: 5-bay nave roof panelled with moulded beams with bosses at intersections. C15 ceiling to tower ground stage, carried on chamfered beam supported at north end on stone corbelled arch-braced post. FITTINGS: medieval font with octagonal bowl with round upper section, on octagonal stem and C19 base; early C18 scrolled cover with dove and acorn finial. Hatchment dated 1793. Reredos and octagonal pulpit with tester of 1889, by Temple Moore. 4 panels of late C15 glass reset in second south window of chancel. 2 bells, one C14, the other C15, await re-hanging at west end of nave. Monuments include a wall tablet in bolection moulded surround, to Frances Nicholson, d.1721. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 27-30; Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York: Edinburgh: 1980-: 216).

Listing NGR: SE5999251475


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York III South West, (1972), 27-30
Hutchinson, J, Palliser, D M, 'Bartholomew City Guides' in York, (1980), 216


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03731/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].