Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259569.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2021 at 11:43:53.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

York (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 60712 52000



SE6052SE ALDWARK 1112-1/14/16 (North East side) Nos.47 AND 49


4 ranges of school buildings, now offices. Range of 1870 by JB and W Atkinson; other ranges of 1887 and 1901 by Demaine and Brierley. For the York Blue Coat School. MATERIALS: orange and orange-grey brick in English and English garden-wall bonds, No.49 retaining remnants of earlier brick in Flemish and stretcher bonds. Nos 47 and 49 have moulded brick dressings, terracotta also to No.49. Stone coped slate roofs with brick stacks. Ranges form three sides of yard to rear of St Anthony's Hall, Peasholme Green (qv). EXTERIOR: No.47: 3 storeys, 5 unequal bays. Entrance from courtyard. 3-light windows on ground floor have flat hoodmoulds and segmental relieving arches; 2-light first floor windows flat arches of soldier brick; segment-gabled half dormers on second floor 2-light windows with header brick arches. Single light windows in left end half bay. All windows are mullioned and transomed. Moulded brick string beneath second floor windows. Courtyard front: 3 storeys, 2 bays, with 3-storey gabled wing projecting to right. Glazed and panelled door in altered opening to right of segmental carriage arch closed by board doors. 2-light casement windows are mullioned and transomed, those on first floor with segmental arches, on second floor in gabled half dormers. Wing has 2 doors on ground floor, one glazed and panelled, one of diagonal boarding. Plain bargeboards to gable end. No.49: 3-storey 3-bay front. To left, altered opening contains segmental carriage arch with board doors and 3-light window, each beneath flat hoodmould. To right, 3x6-pane segment-arched window and hoodmould over shaped apron. On first and second floors, 3-light mullioned and transomed windows with shaped aprons on first floor have triangular pediments breaking into plain aprons beneath similar windows in pedimented half-dormers on second floor. Small 6-pane light with shaped apron beneath segmental arch and hoodmould at right end of first floor. Moulded eaves course. All windows are casements with shaped stone sills. On courtyard side, school bell on wrought-iron bracket survives over 6-panel door in projecting closet at left end. Within carriageway, blocked opening beneath semicircular arch on imposts survives. Range at rear of courtyard: 2 storeys, 7 windows. At right end, glazed and panelled door beneath 30-pane staircase window with cambered head. Other windows segment-arched 12-pane sashes with stone sills, arranged 1:2:1, flanking two extruded stacks. Range to left of courtyard: 2 storeys, 5 windows. Ground floor

openings mostly altered: on first floor windows are 12-pane sashes with brick sills and slightly cambered arches of gauged brick. Brick dentil eaves course. INTERIORS: there are no fittings of note except stone staircase with cast-iron stick bannisters and serpentine handrail in rear range, and cast-iron fireplace in second floor room in No.49. (City of York: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 91).

Listing NGR: SE6072452025


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 91


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/15594/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David H. Garbutt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].