30A, HENDON AVENUE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1259636
Date first listed:
28-Nov-1996
Statutory Address:
30A, HENDON AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 30A, HENDON AVENUE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259636.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 19:41:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
30A, HENDON AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Barnet (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 24454 90628

Details

BARNET. TQ2490 HENDON AVENUE 31-0/0/10323 (North side) No.30A . II House. 1959 by Geoffry Powell of Chamberlin, Powell and Bon, for Dr and Mrs E Rossdale. Central core of dark charcoal grey Uxbridge flint bricks, projecting to form a clerestorey, and timber with weatherboarded cladding, stained dark. The projecting parts of the building are supported on three inch diameter steel tubes set in concrete footings. All elevations have upper storey framed with broad white-painted timber surround and dark cladding within frame. All the living accommodation is contained on one floor, raised a full storey height above ground to allow garages underneath. The brick core forms a space about ten feet square in the centre of the plan, serving as a partially-open fireplace and sitting area. The living and dining areas are arranged to one side of this, with a kitchen beyond, accessible from the dining end and from a passageway which serves the three bedrooms and two bathrooms. Windows of white-painted timber (some replaced with UPVC units). South east front has two garages beneath overhang, timber stair rising from raised paved area on left to broad deck by entrance. Clerestorey projects above main roof level. Entrance door of timber with two glass panes, beneath later porch canopy. Continuous windows to left of door with full-height opening section and roller blind above. Interior. Door lobby leads to hall area with clerestorey lighting at each end and outer wall of brick core. Sliding partition to left leads into L-shaped living room with brick core forming semi-enclosed central sitting area with hearth accessible from two sides and white flue muffler rising from black tiled shelf, fixed timber benches to two sides and clerestorey light over. Dining end has hatch and two-way unit to kitchen. Suspended shelf and drawer units running from wall-to-wall in bedrooms. Two of the bedrooms (by entrance) are arranged with a folding partition timber wall between them. A rare domestic work by this important practice, in an English Miesian idiom, forming a first-floor level pavilion. The e:-:pression of materials and plan is an intelligent and logical one. As Nairn said, the architects 'saw the problem fresh, and the result is delightful.' (Architectural Design: November 1959: 451-3; Ian Nairn: Modern Buildings in London: London: 1964-: 80). ,



Listing NGR: TQ2445490628

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
462708
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Nairn, I, Modern Buildings in London, (1964), 80
'Architectural Design' in November, (1959), 451-3

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Nov 2004
Reference: IOE01/12695/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].