STATUE OF QUEEN VICTORIA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1259845
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1979
Date of most recent amendment:
02-Aug-2010
Statutory Address:
STATUE OF QUEEN VICTORIA, RISHWORTH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of STATUE OF QUEEN VICTORIA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259845.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 18:59:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
STATUE OF QUEEN VICTORIA, RISHWORTH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wakefield (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 33017 21056

Details



938/13/129 RISHWORTH STREET 01-FEB-79 (Off) STATUE OF QUEEN VICTORIA (Formerly listed as: DENBY DALE ROAD STATUE OF QUEEN VICTORIA AT ENTRANCE TO CLARENCE PARK)

II Memorial statue. 1904 by sculptor Francis John Williamson. Cast by A B Burton of Thames Ditton, Surrey.

Heroic size bronze figure of Queen Victoria in state robes with a crown and holding a sceptre in her right hand, set on a square, two-tier bronze plinth with pennant decoration to upper tier. Signed on the lower tier of the right-hand side elevation: A.B. BURTON / FOUNDER / THAMES DITTON. Bronze set on a tall, square, stepped plinth of polished pink granite. The central section of the front face is inscribed VICTORIA REG ET IMP / 1837-1901. At a lower level is a second inscription: THIS STATUE WAS ERECTED BY THE CITIZENS OF WAKEFIELD / AS A MEMORIAL TO THEIR GREAT AND GOOD QUEEN / 1904. The left-hand side elevation has the inscription THIS MONUMENT WAS REMOVED / FROM THE BULL RING / TO THIS SITE IN JULY 1950 / CLARENCE PARK / AND REINSTATED IN 1985.

HISTORY: This memorial to Queen Victoria was unveiled on 15 February 1905, and a telegram was sent to King Edward VII from the citizens of Wakefield declaring their affection for the late Queen and loyalty to the Monarchy. The sculptor was Francis John Williamson who was patronised by Queen Victoria and produced many statues of her. It is based on his marble statue of Victoria sculpted in 1887 at the time of her Golden Jubilee. Williamson then executed many bronze replicas including statues in Wakefield, Hastings, Paisley, Londonderry, Rangoon in Burma, Perth in Australia, Auckland and Christchurch in New Zealand. The Wakefield statue was cast by A B Burton of the Thames Ditton bronze foundry in Surrey, which was initially founded in 1874 as Cox & Sons, ecclesiastical suppliers of cast ornaments and statues, and became well-known through the production of a large number of major castings. After a number of owners it was known as A B Burton from 1902 to 1933.

The statue was first erected in the Bullring in the centre of Wakefield. In 1950 it was moved to Denby Dale Road at the entrance to Clarence Park. Following the pedestrianisation of the Bullring in 1985 the statue was returned. In 2008 it was cleaned and restored before being relocated in 2009 to Castrop Rauxel Square off Rishworth Street.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION The 1904 statue of Queen Victoria standing in Castrop Rauxel Square, Wakefield, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Sculptural Interest: the statue, which depicts Queen Victoria at the time of her Golden Jubilee in 1887, is of high quality, being modelled by the noted sculptor Francis John Williamson, who was patronised by the Queen and produced many sculptures of her, and was cast by A B Burton of the well-known bronze foundry at Thames Ditton, Surrey * Historic Interest: as a good representative example of a commemorative memorial of Queen Victoria, demonstrating the regard with which she was held by her citizens throughout the country.

SE3301721056

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
443756
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/13121/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr W. Robin Hodges. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].