TOWER AT RANTON ABBEY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1259926
Date first listed:
17-Mar-1953
Statutory Address:
TOWER AT RANTON ABBEY

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259926.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 19:04:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOWER AT RANTON ABBEY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Stafford (District Authority)
Parish:
Ellenhall
National Grid Reference:
SJ 83822 24278

Details

ELLENHALL 1. 2385 SJ 82 SW 13/5 17.3.53 Tower at Ranton Abbey II* 2. A priory of Austin Canons was founded here circa 1160 by Robert Fitzneel. Virtually the only surviving remains is a fine west tower of the church, a notable example of late medieval design and execution. Ashlar faced with embattled parapet and low pyramidal cap. Below the parapet is a band of ornament. The large west window and doorway below have an attractive hood- mould. The newel stair is contrived in the south east angle. Large blocked arch on east. A portion of walling on the line of the South side of nave has a round-headed doorway with a continuous roll moulding. The monastic buildings were on the south but there are no traces above ground. Footings of the eastern portion of the church have been found but have not been explored. The adjoining late Georgian mansion is a roofless ruin so covered with ivy that it is impossible to inspect the details. It is not included in the list.

The description shall be amended to read:-

1. 2385 ELLENHALL

SJ 82 SW 13/5 17.3.53 Tower at Ranton Abbey II* 2. A priory of Austin Canons was founded here circa 1160 by Robert Fitzneel. Virtually the only surviving remains is a fine west tower of the church, a notable example of late medieval design and execution. Ashlar faced with embattled parapet and low pyramidal cap. Below the parapet is a band of ornament. The large west window and doorway below have an attractive hood- mould. The newel stair is contrived in the south east angle. Large blocked arch on east. A portion of walling on the line of the South side of nave has a round-headed doorway with a continuous roll moulding. The monastic buildings were on the south but there are no traces above ground. Footings of the eastern portion of the church have been found but have not been explored.

------------------------------------

ELLENHALL l. 2385 Tower at Ranton Abbey SJ 82 SW 13/5 17.3.53 II* 2. A priory of Austin Canons was founded here-circa l160 by Robert Fitzneel. Virtually the only surviving remains is a fine West tower of the church, a notable example of late mediaeval design and execution. Ashlar faced with embattled parapet and low pyramidal cap. Below the parapet is a band of ornament. The large West window and doorway below have an attrac- tive hood mould. The newel stair is contrived in the South-east angle. Large blocked arch on East. A portion of walling on the line of the South side of nave has a round-headed doorway with a continuous roll moulding. The monastic buildings were on the South but there are no traces above ground. Footings of the Eastern portion of the church have been found but have not been explored, the adjoining late Georgian mansion is a roofless ruin so covered with ivy that it is impossible to inspect the details. It is not included in the list.

Listing NGR: SJ8382224278

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
443409
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].