This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1260103



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Tower Hamlets

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 25-Feb-2004

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 206310

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


788/10/202 VICTORIA PARK SQUARE E2 18-JUL-49 (East side) 17-18 (Formerly listed as: VICTORIA PARK SQUARE E2 16-18)

GV II* Pair of houses, now offices (2003). c.1690 with early-C19 alterations and C20 additions. Stock brick with red brick dressings; brick string course at 1st floor level; rendered basement. Tiled roof with wooden modillion eaves cornice and early-C19 dormers. 2 storeys with attic and basement. EXTERIOR: Each house 5 windows wide; C19 sash windows, recessed and with red brick flat arches and dressings. Entrance doorways have moulded architraves flanked by pilasters with carved and scrolled brackets supporting flat hood with panelled soffits. Entrance steps to No.17 flanked by stone balusters; those to No.18 have late-C18/early-C19 ironwork. Ground floor windows of No. 17 have C19 cast-iron windows guards. No.17 has C19 and C20 additions to rear and C20 2-storey extension at northwest corner. No.18 rear wall re-built and raised with parapet in C19. INTERIOR: Nos. 17 and 18 have original interior fittings including full-height staircases with 'barley sugar' turned balusters, heavy moulded ramped handrails and square newels with ball terminals, open string stair flights with carved tread-ends up to second floor, and closed string above. Staircase dado panelling. Full height panelled rooms to ground and first floor of both houses, small areas replaced in late-C20; some panelling with bolection mouldings, some square-framed. Wooden box cornices. No. 18 has several first floor chimneypieces with deep wooden surrounds and elaborate overmantels with diamond and 'fish scale' motifs. No. 17 has several early-C19 wooden and wide marble fireplaces. Rear basement room of No.18 has brick-lined well. HISTORY: Nos. 17 and 18 appear to be the 'two adjoining tenements with orchard and garden' referred to in the 1690 abstracts of admittance for Stepney. First owned by James Grunwin, the property was bequeathed to Thomas Vickars and William Barwell in 1701, the garden behind enclosed with a wall and sold to Joseph Blissott who owned another property in Bethnal Green. The property was let to a succession of tenants throughout the C18, remaining relatively unchanged in footprint until the later-C19. In 1887, No.17 was used as by the University Club, an Anglican settlement that had been founded in Bethnal Green by theology graduates from Oxford. It is then that the first building, a clubhouse for the Settlement, was constructed on the the site of No.16 (q.v.). Nos. 16-18 were formerly listed as one item, with No.16 considered to be a much altered c.1690 house. SOURCES: Royal Commission on Historical Monuments, 'London East' (1930) p.9. English Heritage Historians file Tower Hamlets 85.

A pair of c.1690 houses that retain their 5-bay brick facades, full-height staircases with 'barley sugar' turned balusters, panelled rooms and chimneypieces, and that have a layer of C19 interest; listed at Grade II* for their outstanding interest as rare survivals of pre-Georgian houses in East London.

Listing NGR: TQ3513482882

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - Spitalfields and Mile End New Town Parishes of Christ Church and All Saints and the liberties of Norton Folgate and the Old Artillery Ground:Volume 27, (1957)

National Grid Reference: TQ 35134 82886


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1260103 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2017 at 05:13:15.

End of official listing