THE PRIORY OR PARSONAGE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1260178
Date first listed:
19-Apr-1961
Date of most recent amendment:
27-Oct-1987
Statutory Address:
PARSONAGE FARMHOUSE, NORTH STREET
Statutory Address:
THE PRIORY, NORTH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PRIORY OR PARSONAGE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1260178 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2019 at 19:11:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARSONAGE FARMHOUSE, NORTH STREET
Statutory Address:
THE PRIORY, NORTH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Stoke Sub Hamdon
National Grid Reference:
ST 47353 17408

Details

ST4717 6/320

STOKE SUB HAMDON CP NORTH STREET (West side) The Priory, or Parsonage Farmhouse (Formerly listed as The Priory or Parsonage Farmhouse (Ruined portion))

19.4.61 GV I (Chantry House on O.S. Map). Originally the College Buildings of the Beauchamp Chantry, now private house. C14 et seq. Ham stone roughly cut and squared, ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roofs over stone slate base courses, costly with coped gables; stone slab chimney stacks. 'L'-plan. Mostly two storeys. East, roadside front, largely C17, of 4+4+1 bays. Southern section has lower roof, with a blank end gable to bay one, then mostly ovolo-mould mullioned windows in wave-mould recesses, under separate labels; two-light lower bay two, three-light lower bay three, and upper bay four, this latter being set into a coped gable; to upper bay two two-light chamfer-mullioned window without label: central unit taller, with mostly ovolo-mould mullioned windows in wave-mould recesses, most with hands rather than labels; four-light upper bay one, three-light upper bays three and four, one-light to upper bay two and lower bay three, and single-light lower bay four; to lower bay one a three-light hollow-chamfered mullioned window in chamfered recess: roof set lower to final north bay, which has a three-light ovolo-mould mullioned window above, without label, and a blocked window below; all windows have rectangular-leaded panes, with some iron-framed opening lights: other features this elevation include buttresses to left of bay one and right of bays two and four, centre block; to lower bay two in this block an ovolo-moulded cambered-arched doorway in wave-mould rectangular recess, with incised spandrils, the opening now blocked with a stall three-light window: to end north gable a bell turret of unusual detail, with stall side openings in the rectangular turret, and a cantilevered cover on the south side. North elevation probably c1444, prompted by Bishop Beakynton; five bays, of which bays one and three are projecting and gabled; bay one has three-light ovolo-mould mullioned window below, complete with label, above a trefoil cusped light in rectangular recess, with an ogee recess in the gable, pointed arch doorway in return; lower bay two has a two-light ovolo-mould window with label; thereafter the building is tall single-storey, with projecting porch with parvise over to bay three, having angled corner buttresses, moulded pointed arched doorway and trefoil-cusped light in rectangular recess above; bay four has a six-light hollow-chamfered mullioned window with label, four-centre arched lights with incised spandrils, above a shallow five-light window with ovolo-mould mullions, no label, the centre light being blocked; buttresses between bays four/five and then a three-light ovolo mould window to lower bay five; these last three bays have stone slate roofs, set slightly lower than main block. Inside, the north bay with bell-turret had the former chapel, and the west wing has a single- storyed open hall, which is unplastered, with mostly an earth floor, and has arch-braced collar-truss roof trusses with double purlins and arched windbraces, a blocked cambered-arched fireplace in south wall, and a gallery over a through passage at the east end; on south-west corner an extension with ovolo-mould windows, doorway and fireplace, but with ogee-arched niche in east wall, which may represent the priest's parlour: at the east end traces of a jointed cruck truss remain. The remainder of the house not inspected, but reported are a surviving piscina in the upper chapel wing, some panelling with initials TS 1585 (for Thomas Strode, who converted sole of the former service rooms into living room), and evidence that the three south bays represent part of the medieval priest's kitchen then detached from the main house. This surviving part of the college apparently the Provost's Lodging; before 1304 it may have been the rector's house: after 1518 it become a farm, which it remained until c1960. Major restorations carried out in 1967, and the house is now the property of the National Trust. Scheduled Ancient Monument, (Somerset County No 196).

(VCH vol III, 1974; leaflet published by National Trust, undated; Pantin, W.A, "Chantry Priest's Houses and other Medieval lodgings, Medieval Archaeology 3, 1959, 216-258; VAG notes, Unpublished SRO, September 1972).

Listing NGR: ST4736017423

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
441493
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)
'Medieval Archaeology' in Medieval Archaeology, , Vol. 3, (1959), 216-258

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].