MARGATE RAILWAY STATION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1260321
Date first listed:
25-Aug-1987
Statutory Address:
MARGATE RAILWAY STATION, STATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MARGATE RAILWAY STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1260321 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 06:02:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
MARGATE RAILWAY STATION, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Thanet (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TR 34728 70545

Details



878/10/345A STATION ROAD 25-AUG-87 Margate Railway Station

II



Railway station. Built in 1926 in a monumental classic style. The architect is thought to have been Edwin Maxwell Fry, chief assistant to J R Scott. Engineer A W Szlumper. Built of brown brick with stone dressings and hipped tiled roof. Comprises central tall booking hall flanked by lower 5 bay wings terminating in higher pavilions. Central block has very deep entablature and giant round-headed arch with Diocletian opening to light Booking Hall. Below this are 4 columns with rectangular fanlights between and modern aluminium doors. Flanking the arch are 2 projecting 1 storey 1 bay pavilions with stone Doric pilasters and architraves and 9 pane sash windows to front and round-headed sash with moulded stone architraves to the sides. 1 storey wings with deep stone cornice and 5 round-headed windows with top opening lights in moulded stone architrave separated by stone roundels with busts. Right side wing has modern double doors inserted in last bay for buffet doors. Left side has central doorcase in original entablature for luggage hall. Pavilions have deep entablatures with panels and Doric pilasters all faced with stone. Right side pavilion has large door with grille above. Left side pavilion has 9 paned sash. This station replaced an earlier railway station demolished when the lines were rationalized in 1926. Booking hall in the grand manner, with elliptically vaulted booking hall, pendant lights. Ramsgate Station was built by the same architect in the same year (Ramsgate CP Station Approach Road).

In 1923 E Maxwell Fry joined the Architect's Department of the Southern Railway as its chief assistant. Margate reflects Fry's Classical training under Charles Reilly at the Liverpool School, and his absorption of classical detailing and planning is the clue to this station's special qualities. Fry went on to loudly embrace the international modern style, one of the first native-born architects to do so in England. He later became coy about his years with Southern Railways.

Source Information from Gavin Stamp



Listing NGR: TR3472870545

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
441051
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Oct 2005
Reference: IOE01/13441/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M. J. Davies. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].