CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1260420
Date first listed:
19-Apr-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1260420 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2019 at 18:20:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Stoke Sub Hamdon
National Grid Reference:
ST 48392 17277

Details

S4817 STOKE SUB HAMDON CP EAST STOKE (South side) 7/284 Church of St Mary the Virgin 19.4.61 GV I Anglican Parish Church. C12, C13 et seq; restored 1862 by Benjamin Ferrey, west vestries 1916 by C.E. Ponting. Ham stone, coursed rubble with dressings and ashlar; Welsh slate, stone slate base courses, coped east gable to chancel, elsewhere shallow pitch sheet lead roofs behind parapets. Cruciform plan: north porch and parvise, west vestries, tower over north transept, chancel 3 bays, nave 3 bays, transepts single-bay. Chancel c1100: low chamfered plinth, plain east wall, corner pilasters and bay buttresses to sides, eaves corbel table carried on grotesques, east window 4-light C15 subarcuated tracery in hollowed recess under square-stopped label; east bay south side paired simple lancets, centre bay has single wider lancet and also a semi-circular arched window with Celtic style archstone below a triangular- arched doorway with scratch dial on jamb; west bay has cusped lancet with later rectangular window under; north side has C13 traceried 2-light ciquefoil cusped window in east bay with matching single lights to other bays, the labels arched but cut short of springing. South transept: double plinth, eaves mould to plain parapet; cinquefoil cusped lancet to south gable, with label; to east and west walls 4 single trefoil-cusped lancets. Nave: corbelled battlemented parapet, end pilasters, south side a C15 4-light traceried window in hollowed recess with square stopped label, below a blocked C12 doorway with tympanum missing but one fishscaled and one barleysugar-twist side shaft remain with scalloped caps and impost blocks; to centre bay a cinquefoil cusped lancet with headstop label, and to left small C12 window with herringbone ornament to archstone, west window 5-light reticulated tracery under headstop label, north wall has cinquefoil cusped lancet and small C12 window with carving of St. George and dragon on archstone, below a C13 canopy with cross. North porch and parvise: pointed arched outer doorway with label, trefoil cusped statue niche in square recess over, inside quadripartite vault and C12 doorway having a panelled octagonal and a circular fishscale sideshaft with debased Ionic caps carrying tympanum carved with zodiac signs under roll mould, early ledged and boarded doors; above a 3-light reticulated tracery window without label, stairlight to right; on west wall a stone slate roofed projection for stairway, 2 cusped lancets, and 2 rectangular recesses. Tower: 3 stages, string courses, top with gargoyles, battlemented parapets, projection with rectangular windows to east, 3-light C15 traceried north window to lowest stage, slim rectangular window to west stage 2; top stage has pairs lancets with roll-mould jambs and double-arched labels stopped short of springing. Inside: chancel has C20 ceiling by McGregor, rere-arches to all but east window, the eastern side windows having side shafts and trefoil arches; C12 chancel arch with offsets and roll mouldings with billet, chevron and dogtooth ornament on nave side, plain main shafts, with slots for dividing partition, chevron and fishscale side shafts, all caps debased Ionic, probably recut; squints to both sides. North transept: quadripartite vault on carved corbels, reused C15 stone screen and C15 stone altar. South transept: C19 panelled ceiling, rere-arches to side windows with carved heads between, angled cinquefoil cusped piscina. Nave ceiling mostly C16 moulded rib and panel with leaf bosses; doorways to rood loft. Fittings: C17 altar table, Laudian altar rails, early C17 octagonal panelled pulpit, circular tub font with rings of cable ornament, C13 water stoup to jamb of south transept arch, pews with some early bench ends. Memorials: effigy in chancel north wall of Thomas Strode, died 1595; stone tablet in east will to John Strode, died 1725; in south transept effigy of C14 Reginald de Moncketan. C19 painting in tympanum over north door, traces of wall paintings in various parts of nave it higher levels. East window has medieval stained glass in tracery, war memorial window by Bell below. [VCR Vol III, 1974; Pevsner II, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Leaflet in Church).

Listing NGR: ST4839217277

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 14 December 2016.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
440779
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 14/12/2016 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/238592
War Memorials Register, accessed 14/12/2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/25136

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].