CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HIGH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1260603.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:49:31.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HIGH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Kesteven (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 09780 27815
RIPPINGALE HIGH STREET
TF 02 NW
6/182 Church of
30.10.68 St. Andrew
Parish church. Mid C13, c.1300, c.1350, mid C15, C16, restored 1860. Coursed limestone rubble, limestone ashlar, some red brick, some render. Lead roofs with stone coped gables with cross finials. West tower, nave with broad, long south aisle running full length of church, with south porch and chancel. Mid C15 west tower with moulded plinth and frieze of shields on cusped fields continuing over multistage angle buttresses. Slit stair lights immediately to the left of south west buttress. Pointed west window with incipient double bowtell moulded surround, 3 barely pointed, cusped lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Small doorway in south side with shield carved on lintel and plank door. Small, narrow light with barely pointed head above to west and south. Clock above to east and south. Bell openings on all four sides, each a pair of narrow, deeply moulded openings, each in turn divided into 2 pointed cusped lights with transom, hood moulds. Moulded eaves above with 2 projecting gargoyles on both the west and south sides. Battlements and ornate corner pinnacles. Mid C14 north wall of nave with plinth and 4 regularly placed 2 stage buttresses. Doorway to west with pointed head, continuous chamfered surround, hood mould with head label stops and plank door. 2 windows to left, that to east broader, both-with pointed heads, 3 ogee headed cupsed lights and flowing tracery. Clerestory immediately above on same plane, with 3 windows each with flattened triangular head, 3 round headed cusped lights and hood moulds. Moulded eaves above. Shallow east gable of nave of brick. North side with window with flattened triangular head, 3 cusped, triangular headed lights and hood mould. Parapet above partially patched with brick. East end of chancel with large pointed window with 3 cusped lights with pointed and ogee shaped heads, cusped oculus, hood mould and head label stops. Broader east end of south aisle running parallel with east end of chancel, with moulded plinth and flanking single stage buttresses. Large pointed window of c.1300 with 4 trefoil headed lights, large, delicately moulded geometrical tracery, hood mould and head label stops. South side of aisle rendered and no structural definition of chancel and nave. Moulded plinth and regularly placed single storey buttresses. 3 pointed windows of c.1300, each with 2 trefoil headed lights and large, delicately moulded geometrical tracery and hood moulds. Pointed doorway below and to the left of the central window with richly moulded head and 3 orders of shafts with moulded capitals, hood mould and plank door. Sundial immediately above westernmost window. C14 gabled south porch to left with moulded plinth and large, round headed doorway, moulded with two orders, and with trefoiled responds, the central, larger rolls with fillets, moulded capitals, hood mould with head label stops. Porch interior flanked by stone benches. Interior south doorway with pointed head, continuous double chamfered surround, hood mould and double plank doors. West end of south aisle with plinth and pointed plate traceried window restored in C19, with 2 pointed lights, quatrefoil and hood mould. Interior tower arch with pointed, moulded head, very tall jambs of 2 orders with concave mouldings and castellated capitals, hood mould, and moulded plinth with frieze of shields on cusped fields. Original roof line of nave visible above tower arch. Projecting buttresses flank tower. Tower interior with numerous painted boards recording benevolent bequests and single faded hatchment. 6 bay arcade runs down full length of nave and chancel, of c.1300, with quatrefoiled piers with continuous hollows and fillets, moulded capitals and pointed, double chamfered heads with hood moulds. Chancel east wall to right of altar with C19 piscina with pointed moulded head supported on single flanking shafts. South aisle with trefoil headed piscina with gable of c.1300. To east of porch doorway is a blocked, broad, pointed tomb recess with continuous chamfered surround. South aisle with recumbent female effigy, possibly of Margaret de Coellville who married John Gobard in first half C14. Richly cusped and finialled ogee shaped canopy with ball flower decoration and supported on large head label stops. Table tomb beneath effigy with 7 gabled niches with ornate pinnacles. Effigy with ornate canopy held over head by mutilated armoured figures, flowing drapery, hands clasped in prayer, coif and wimple. Mid C13 effigy laid on C20 table tomb, of Sir Hugh Gobard, deacon,with richly flowing vestments, surrounding band of stiff leaf foliage, feet resting on 2 large stiff leaf whorls, tonsored head and clasping open book inscribed, faintly, with: "Here lies High Gofoed the palmer son of John Goboed...Pray for his soul". Next to him lies a mid C13 effigy of cross-legged knight in chain mail, resting on C20 tomb chest, possibly of Sir Guy Gobard, with hands clasped in prayer, lion at feet and fragmentary sword. To east of Gobard effigies, a gravely mutilated effigy set in floor. Large late C15 table tomb with 3 effigies of Roger de Quincey flanked by his 2 wives. Mutilated angels support their pillowed heads and mutilated dogs, their feet, de Quincey has cropped hair, armour and is now legless. His wives are also severely mutilated, dressed in flowing robes. Table tomb itself is decorated by ornate canopied panels with angels supporting shields and shields suspended from flowerheads and grotesque heads; a large helmet with flaming brands and several other shields. Monuments include: black and white marble oval to Frances Waters, died 1828; white sepulchre on black field to Rev. William Waters, died 1853: large white oval supported on scrolled bracket to Wade Gascoigne, died 1801; brass with foliate decoratrion to Alfred Cooper, died 1866; fine white with grey streaked marble monument with flanking ionic columns supporting entablature and broken pediment with cartouche rising from broken apex, to the 5 infant children of Richard Brownlow who died in the 1650s and 1660s. Monuments in south aisle include one to Richard Quincey, died 1813, in black and white marble; slate and white marble with ornate lettering to Elizabeth Quincey, died 1741, slate monument with broken pediment and human head set in broken apex, to Richard Quincey, died 1757; black and white marble with urn, to John Quincey, died 1827; alabaster monument supported on 2 human heads, to Elizabeth Bacon, died 1830; black and white marble monument to Robert Younger, died 1856 and 3 black and white marble monuments to Sarah Younger, died 1850; Robert Grummit, died 1852, and Jane Shield, died 1857. C15 octagonal font on a 2 stepped broad octagonal plinth, octagonal pedestal and with cusped panels containing flower heads and shields. C16 tie beam roofs with curved braces and rosette bosses. Loft coving of rood screen at entrance to chancel. Pews, choir stalls, lectern and altar rail of 1896. Chest of 1785. C20 stone pulpit.
Listing NGR: TF0978027815
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing