991, GREAT WEST ROAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1260638
Date first listed:
13-Jan-1994
Statutory Address:
991, GREAT WEST ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of 991, GREAT WEST ROAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1260638 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2019 at 00:59:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
991, GREAT WEST ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Hounslow (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 16876 77648

Details

The following building shall be added:

GREAT WEST ROAD TQ 1677 (south side [off]) 19/10008 No. 991 GV II

Warehouse, 1935-6 by F E Simpkins for Curry's Ltd as the distributive centre for their chain of shops. Reinforced concrete with some steel frame, especially at rear. Flat roof to long office block at front, 5-bay warehouse to rear has jagged industrial profile with northern rooflights over single storey. The front range is of two, rising to three central storeys, and with an impressive staircase tower as its centrepiece, in a symmetrical 3,6,1,6,3 composition. All windows metal, with strong horizontals, mostly of 4-lights in tripartite fashion but with idiosyncratic arched windows at end. Those to the side of the central tower are curved in the famous moderne manner. The building is entered under the staircase tower on the first floor via a flight of concrete steps that are part of the composition and have concrete balustrades with pylons complete with set-back tops. Double doors have stepped flat concrete surround and flat canopy over. The central tower rises between corner pilasters, with a set back and toothed top and remains of clock. Under it the tripartite staircase window has 19 horizontal lights. Included as a remarkably complete survival in the style the Great West Road made famous, which has particular group value with its listed neighbours, the former Pyrene and Coty factories.

Listing NGR: TQ1687677648

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
440172
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05598/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adam Watson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].