CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1261202
Date first listed:
20-Dec-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1261202 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 17:02:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Heddington
National Grid Reference:
ST 99928 66205

Details

ST 96 NE HEDDINGTON CHURCH ROAD

5/127 Church of St. Andrew

20.12.60

GV II*

Anglican parish church, C13 to C15 with alterations possibly of C16 and C17, restored 1840-1 and 1976. Ashlar and rubble stone with stone slate roofs. West tower, nave and aisles, north porch, chancel and north east vestry. C15 battlemented 3-stage tower with higher north stair-tower, moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses to first stage, dripcourses and angle pinnacles. Three-light Perpendicular west window over 4-centred arched moulded door, clock face to second stage and 2-light bell-openings. Ashlar north aisle possibly c1700 on earlier plinth. Moulded cornice, parapet, 2 tall 4-light flat-headed windows and angle buttresses. Central C15 coped gabled porch with moulded plinth, moulded eaves, diagonal buttresses and moulded pointed north doorway with canopied niche over. Angle finials and apex cross to gable. C14 moulded inner doorway. South side has 2 large hipped dormers, C17 rebuilt 1976 and roof carried down over part-rendered south aisle with 3 flat- headed C16 or C17 three-light windows. Chancel has no moulded plinth, C15 pointed 2-light window to north and C15 flat-headed 2- light to south. Another 2-light south window similar to south aisle. Four-centred 3-light east window, Perpendicular style but without cusping. North east vestry is gabled with C16 three-light to north wall. Interior: 1976 nave and south aisle roofs by Wyvern Design Group with pine trusses, moulded Cl5 tower arch, C13 three-bay south arcade of round piers and C14 three-bay north arcade with octagonal piers. Round arched chancel arch renewed c1840 with applied timber nailhead moulding. Plastered chancel roof. North chamfered arch to vestry. All windows with C20 leading except east window with C19patterned glass. Late C18 organ. Norman style font, possibly original remoulded c1840. Chancel wall plaques of 1669 and 1836 by E.H. Baily and vestry plaque of 1610. (N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975, 265-6; R.J. Cole, A history of Heddington and its church n.d.)

Listing NGR: ST9992866205

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
438191
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cole, RJ , A History of Heddington and its Church
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975), 265-6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Dec 2004
Reference: IOE01/11809/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Graham Hill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].