CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1261375
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHAPEL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1261375 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 21:08:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHAPEL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
North Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Ruskington
National Grid Reference:
TF 08258 51080

Details

RUSKINGTON CHAPEL STREET TF 05 SE (north side) 4/49 Church of All Saints 1.2.67 GV I Parish church. C12, C13, C15, Tower restored 1620 after the collapse of the spire. Restored and chancel rebuilt c.1885. Coursed limestone rubble and ashlar with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs. Nave and aisles have plain parapet with chamfered coping which also lops the eastern gable. West tower, nave with aisles and south porch, plus chancel. West tower of ashlar in 3 stages, with angle buttresses. Chamfered and moulded plinth, moulded stage bands and a plain parapet with chamfered coping and overshoots. South face, first stage is blank, second stage has a tiny round-headed chamfered lancet and the third stage a 2-light round headed bell opening, with double round arched tracery, in a chamfered surround. The west face first stage has a round-headed 2-light window, similar to the bell openings, the second stage has a tiny round-headed chamfered lancet and the third stage another bell opening. The north face is identical to the south, and the east face has a bell opening, plus a blue metal clock face. North aisle has a chamfered plinth and 2 gabled buttresses, and 2 diagonal buttresses at the corners, plus gargoyles. To the right a pointed arched doorway with plank door in moulded chamfered surround with hood, and to the left two 2-light panel tracery windows in pointed arches with hoods. The east wall has a 3-light panel tracery window in a pointed and chamfered arch with hood. The chancel has a chamfered plinth, and the north wall has 2 tall chamfered lancets with hoods, plus to the right a small lancet in a roll moulded surround. The east wall has 3 chamfered lancets, the centre one taller, with a continuous hood and moulded cill band, the gable is coped with kneelers and a cross finial. The south wall has to the left a small lancet in a roll moulded surround, above to the right a chamfered lancet with hood, and then a priest's door below in a chamfered pointed arch with a plank door, then a tall chamfered lancet with beyond to the right another chamfered lancet both with hoods. The south aisle has a double chamfered plinth, diagonal corner buttresses and a single wall buttress. The east wall has a cusped 3-light intersecting tracery window in a pointed and chamfered surround. The south wall has two 2-light panel tracery windows in pointed arches with hoods, and a gabled porch. The porch has banded rubble walling, a chamfered plinth, chamfered coped gable with cross finial and short angle buttresses. The pointed arched opening has a moulded arch with keeled, single shaft responds with moulded capitals and bases, plus hood with head stops. Stone benches. Inner doorway has double plank doors in a triple pointed arch, with roll moulding and a dog-tooth in each arch, a moulded impost band and inner roll moulded jambs with outer pair of single shaft responds with moulded capitals and bases. The south aisle west wall has a blocked doorway. Interior: nave has 3 bay arcades with double chamfered arches with hoods. The north arcade has piers with 4 keeled shafts, and responds with single keeled shafts, all with moulded capitals and bases, plus stone benches. The south arcade has a single keeled shafted respond to the west, and a cross plan western pier with a single shaft in each angle. The eastern pier is square and decorated with dog-tooth with a single shaft before each face, the eastern respond has 3 keeled shafts with stiff leaf capitals, all the remaining shafts have moulded capitals and bases, plus stone benches. Tower arch, round-headed with an outer plain arch and 2 inner chamfered arches, with triple shaft responds with scalloped capitals and moulded bases. Chancel arch double chamfered with octagonal responds, with moulded capitals and bases, plus stone benches. C15 octagonal ashlar bowl and stem font, with quatrefoil panels containing alternate shields and roses. C19 wooden roofs, pews, choir stalls, pulpit, rood screen and reredos. Brass and wooden altar rail. Heavily restored triple arched sedilia, and single arched piscina. Monuments: Chancel, carved stone tablet to Robert Cranwell 1776, signed by J Hall of Sleaford. Marble tablet to Elizabeth Cranwell 1765. Alabaster tablet to Arthur Myers, Rector 1870 to 92. North aisle, brass war memorial tablet. Stone tablet with 2 carved figures supporting a pediment to Matthew Stone 1710. South aisle unusual stone tablet to Thomas Wiles 1780, signed Tidd of Sleaford. Nave, marble tablet to Robert Holmes 1806, decorated with an urn.

Listing NGR: TF0825551076

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
437647
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/64162

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/05645/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].