Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1261413.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Mar-2021 at 23:36:40.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Kesteven (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 05659 48553


LEASINGHAM CAPTAIN'S HILL TF 04 NE (east side) 8/37 Church of St Andrew 1.2.67 GV I Parish church, Late C12, C13, C14 and C15, chancel rebuilt 1863. Coursed lime-stone rubble and ashlar, with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with ashlar coped gables with cross finials. West tower, nave with south aisle and porch, chancel and north vestry. Tall 3 stage tower with C14 broached spire with 3 sets of alternating lucarnes, topped by an iron weather cock. Deeply moulded plinth, angle buttresses, moulded first stage band, and finely carved arcaded eaves band. South face, has a chamfered lancet, with pointed arch and single shafts with moulded bases and capitals, plus triple moulded impost. Second stage blank. Third stage has a pair of round arched bell openings with 2 chamfered, pointed lights each with a mandala above, between are octagonal shafts with moulded bases and capitals. The lower sections of these openings have very unusual inverted V tracery. Between the bell openings is a single shaft with moulded bases and capitals. The west face, first stage has a round-headed doorway with double plank doors, and a deeply moulded double arch supported on pairs of shafts with waterleaf capitals and moulded bases. Above a moulded band and then a circular foiled window in a deeply moulded surround. Second stage has a small round-headed chamfered lancet. Third stage has a pair of round-headed bell openings, identical to the south face. The north face is blank, with small lancets lighting the north east corner stair, the third stage has a single round-headed bell opening with tracery the same as the other bell openings. The east face also has a single round-headed bell opening, identical to the north. The north nave wall has a deeply moulded plinth and moulded parapet, with to the right a large 3 light panel tracery window under a shallow pointed, moulded and chamfered arch with hood, below is a small blocked pointed arched doorway. Then to the left, a buttress, then a narrower 3 light panel tracery window in a pointed moulded chamfered arch with a hood. Beyond again a buttress then a 2 light geometric tracery window in a pointed arch with a hood, and beyond a buttress. Projecting from the north of the chancel is a lean-to C19 vestry which has angle buttresses and a fleuron frieze at the parapet. The north wall has a 5 light, triangular headed window with cusped lights in a deeply chamfered surround. The east wall has a 2 light panel tracery window under a shallow arch with a hood. Chancel east wall has angle buttresses and a tall pointed 3 light geometric tracery window with a hood. The chancel south wall has a chamfered plinth and an ornate corbel table, with a central priests doorway in a deeply moulded chamfered pointed arch with hood, and a C19 plank door. To the hood, and to the right a similar shorter window. The south aisle has a chamfered plinth, angle buttresses and a coped parapet. The 3 light east window has retriculated type tracery in a chamfered pointed arch with a hood. The south wall has a 2 light, cusped Y tracery window to the east, in a chamfered pointed arch with hood. In the centre is a 3 light panel tracery window in a deeply chamfered, segment headed surround with hood. To the west an ornate gabled porch, with deeply moulded plinth and crocketed gabled angle buttresses. The pointed outer arch is deeply moulded with keeled triple shaft responds with moulded capitals and bases, plus a hood. Either side are single carved figures of angels. The inner doorway has a double chamfered pointed arch, with chamfered hood mould, moulded imposts, outer single shafts with moulded capitals and bases, and chamfered jambs. C19 plank door, and stone benches. West wall of south aisle has single pointed lancet. Interior: 3 bay south arcade, with keeled quatrefoil shafts piers, and single shaft responds, all with moulded capitals and bench bases. Pointed double chamfered arches with hoods and head label stops. Double chamfered shallow pointed tower arch with irregular triple shafted responds. Above a former doorway, and the scar of an earlier roof line. Chancel arch, C19 with moulded capitals and bases. Ornate C19 wooden nave and chancel roofs supported on carved ashlar corbels, south aisle has plain C18 roof. This aisle also has a pointed arched aumbry and cupboard, plus a four-centred moulded arched doorway to the original rood stair, now blocked with a band of carved fleuron above. Nave north wall has a single blocked doorway with triangular head. Chancel has a single C19 double chamfered, pointed north vestry archway, C19 organ, C19 brass and wooden altar rail and a small ashlar reredos, C19 encaustic tiles, and C19 wooden choir stalls. Nave has a C19 wooden pews and an ashlar pulpit. Fine C16 octagonal bowl and stem ashlar font with 8 carved figurative panels reputedly copies of C13 originals. Small C18 hatchment in tower. 2 C19 stained glass windows in the chancel. Monuments. Nave north wall tablet to Sophia Blackburn 1792, to Susanna Gunnis and the Reverend Friskney Gunnis 1838. South aisle wall tablet to John Shapleigh 1791.

Listing NGR: TF0565948555


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/05651/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terence G. Onyon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].