CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1261473
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1261473.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:05:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
North Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Ashby De La Launde and Bloxholm
National Grid Reference:
TF 06461 53776

Details

ASHBY DE LA LAUNDE MAIN STREET: Bloxholm TF 05 SE AND BLOXHOLM (west side) 4/11 Church of St Mary I Parish church. c1300, C15, remodelled 1812 for George Manners of Bloxholm Hall. Coursed limestone rubble and ashlar with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs, with C19 ashlar coped gables with kneelers. Ashlar quoins and chamfered plinth. West lower, nave, clerestory, aisles, chancel and south porch. 3 stage tower, slightly set back into the nave, has a deeply moulded plinth and angle buttresses with set offs. The west face has a single pointed arched, 2 light Y tracery window in a deeply chamfered surround with hood mould. Above a large circular bronze clock face. The lower 2 stages of the north and south faces are blank. Above a moulded band to the third stage, with a single 2 light pointed arched, panel tracery bell opening to each face, and above another moulded band with corner gargoyles and fretted battlements with crocketed corner pinnacles. The north aisle west wall, has a single pointed lancet in a chamfered surround, the 3 bay north wall has a single large and three small buttresses, and a central segment headed doorway in chamfered surround with plank door. Either side single 3 light, segment headed flowing tracery windows in moulded chamfered surrounds with hood moulds. The east wall has a single 2 light pointed arched window in a chamfered surround. The chancel has diagonal buttresses with set offs, and a single 3 light, pointed arched east window with cusped intersecting tracery, in a chamfered surround with a hood mould. The clerestory has 3 pointed, 4 centred arched windows, to both north and south, each 2 light with panel tracery in chamfered surrounds with hood moulds. The south aisle has to the east a 2 light, pointed arched window in a chamfered surround, and to the south a central gabled porch, with a 3 light segment headed flowing tracery window in a moulded chamfered surround to the east, and to the west a 3 light, flat headed panel tracery window in a chamfered surround with a hood. The porch has diagonal buttresses with set offs, a moulded plinth, moulded eaves band and a parapet. The unusual 4 centred arched opening has a roll moulded arch, with above the coat of arms of George Manners, dated 1813 in coade stone. The inner doorway, has a 4 centred arch, with Gothic tracery, double doors. Interior: Has 2½ bay nave arcades, because the tower is built into the western bay, with double chamfered arches, octagonal piers and responds, the north arcade responds are keeled, the capitals and bases are moulded, those on the south have benches. The arch is double chamfered, with shaft responds, moulded capitals and bases. The tower arch is double chamfered. The nave and chancel have plaster quatropartite vaults, added for General Manners, supported on shafted corbels. Octagonal C15 bowl and stem font, with cusped decorative panels. Aumbry in chancel with crocketed ogee arch. Oak benches, pulpit, choir stalls and altar rail c1900. Wall tablet in south aisle to Danial Mackinnon 1825 and another in the north aisle to George Wade 1807. Plaque in the tower commemorates the gift of the clock in 1887 by Lt Col Ellis of Bloxholm Hall, and in the floor a coffin lid to Robert Glaisierr. 1652.

Listing NGR: TF0646153776

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
437442
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/05650/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terence G. Onyon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].