CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1261804
Date first listed:
19-Oct-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1261804 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 16:58:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Horsforth
National Grid Reference:
SE 23611 38264

Details

HORSFORTH CHURCH LANE SE 23 NW LS 18 (west side) 8/125 Church of St. Margaret 19.10.1962 - II

Church. 1877-83, by J. L. Pearson; spire completed 1902 by J. B. Frazer. Coursed squared sandstone, slate roof. Nave with north and south aisles, south-east tower, north transepts, chancel. Large and prominent building, in Early English style, with stepped lancet windows, corner turrets. Five-bay nave has stepped triple-lancets to clerestorey all within 2-centred- arched surrounds, west end has angle buttresses terminating in short octagonal turrets with squat pinnacle tops, and west window of 5 high-set tall lancets; low buttressed aisles have small lancets, and gabled porches to the 1st bay: south porch, up 3 steps, has angle-buttresses, recessed 2-centred-arched doorway with a 2-centred arch with shafts and 2 orders of moulding, and carved apex cross; north porch is similar, but with 2 orders of chamfer. Tall 3-stage tower incoporating south-east stair turret has a tall 2-light window to the 1st stage, 2 small lancets in each face of the 2nd stage, a very tall belfry stage with 2 large louvred lancets in each side, all with 3 orders of chamfer and set in recessed panels with deeply.-weathered sills, and carved corbels above; and a broach spire with lucarnes on 3 levels. On north side of nave and chancel are coupled transepts, with stepped quintuple lancet windows under hoodmoulds. Chancel has 3 tall lancets in the south side, and an east window of three 2-light lancets with Y-tracery, separated by pilaster strips, and all within a recessed arch.

Interior: 5-bay aisle arcades of short columns with moulded annular caps, 2-centred double-chamfered arches; single-chamfered cross arches to the aisle; double-chamfered arches to north transepts; shafted arches on north and south sides of chancel, the former moulded and the latter chamfered; arch-braced collar-truss roof.

Listing NGR: SE2361138264

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
436582
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].