CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1261895
Date first listed:
09-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, ABBEY LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1261895.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2020 at 15:18:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, ABBEY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Alvingham
National Grid Reference:
TF 36762 91333

Details

ALVINGHAM ABBEY LANE TF 39 SE (east side) 4/2 Church of St. Mary 9.3.67 G.V. I

Chapel to Gilbertine Priory, now parish church to village of North Cockerington. Cll, late C12, c.1300, C14, C19. Greenstone, ironstone and limestone coursed rubble, limestone ashlar, some brick, some render. Slate and lead roofs with stone coped east gable. South-west tower, nave with south aisle, chancel. C19 south-west tower with plinth and render. Single lancets to west and south, both with hood moulds. Bell openings on all 4 sides, each a pointed opening with wooden Y tracery, hood moulds and label stops on west and east openings. Parapet above with corner pinnacles, that to south-west of wood. To north, level with tower gabled west end of nave of c.1300, with plinth and pointed C19 window with 3 lights, intersecting tracery and hood mould. North side of nave with some brick patching and pointed window to east of c.1300, with 3 pointed lights, intersecting tracery and hood mould. North side of chancel with small blocked Cll window with round head, some moulded decoration to left and scalloped band above. C19 east window with segmental head, 3 cusped, pointed lights and hood moulds. South side of chancel with C19 window with rectangular head, 3 cusped, ogee headed lights and hood mould. Opening to west blocked with brick. East side of south aisle with C19 window with 3 cusped, ogee headed lights and hood mould. To north of window, earlier, large ironstone quoins where aisle added on. South side of aisle with plinth and C19 rectangular window with 3 cusped, ogee headed ights and hood mould. Doorway to west with pointed head, chamfered surround in one and plank door. Interior C19 doorway leading to tower with pointed head, chamfered surround in one and plank door. Late C12 south arcade of 2 bays with round pier with square abacus, corbelled responds and double chamfered, pointed heads. Painted inscription above. C14 chancel arch restored in C19, with pointed, double chamfered head, outer order dying into rectangular jambs, inner order supported on C19 head corbels. Painted inscription above. Plain C13 octagonal font on tall octagonal base. C18 box pews. Fragmentary medieval stone coffin in south aisle with torso of C14 effigy of knight to east, with long-tailed lion at feet. Several other small architectural, moulded fragments. C20 pews, pulpit and choir stalls. C19 roofs.

Listing NGR: TF3676191332

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
436421
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05900/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Sowray. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].