Strawberry Hill (St Mary's Training College)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1261987
Date first listed:
02-Sep-1952
Statutory Address:
St Mary's Training College, Waldegrave Road
Statutory Address:
Strawberry Hill, Waldegrave Road

Map

Ordnance survey map of Strawberry Hill (St Mary's Training College)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1261987 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Jun-2019 at 09:01:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
St Mary's Training College, Waldegrave Road
Statutory Address:
Strawberry Hill, Waldegrave Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Richmond upon Thames (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 15817 72315

Details

TQ 1572 17/10

WALDEGRAVE ROAD Strawberry Hill (St Mary's Training College)

2.9.52

I 1749-76. Built by Horace Walpole, with William Robinson and later James Essex as executive architects, with some interiors designed by Richard Bently, John Chute, Thomas Pitt, and Robert Adam. The chief facades are to the south and east. Stuccoed, of two to three storeys. Extending southward to the left on the south facade are C19 additions by Lady Waldegrave, which now encase the base of the circular tower (1759), containing kitchens and Round Room Tudor windows. Turret behind, (1777) with steep conical roof covered by fishscale slates.

To the right, a five bay range, two storeys high, with painted two-light windows and buttresses between (Great Cloister to ground floor, Gallery above). Single bay to right, set back, and to right of this a triple angled bow window, two storeys high, with trefoil-headed ogee windows on each facet. (contains Little Parlour and Blue Bed Chamber). Single bay to corner, with similar return to east, of three storeys, with ogeed two-light windows to ground, and first floors and quatrefoils above. To the right, along the east facade, a three-facetted bow with ogee heads to first floor, above which a rectangular oriel with five painted lights, under stepped gable. To the right, a single bay contains the Great Parlour, and above, the library. Square headed oriel to parlour, ogeed cinquefoil headed window within intersecting tracery library, flanked by quatrefoils. Battlemented parapets throughout, with pinnacles at intervals.

Inside, many notable interiors, including: Staircase, (Bentley); Library, with Gothic arches for bookcases; fireplace inspired by that of Edmund Crouchback in Westminster Abbey, and elaborate ceiling (1754, Chute), Holbein Chamber, triple-arched screen, tracered ceiling, elaborate niched fireplace, (Bentley); Gallery, fan-vaulted with elaborate canopied (Pitt); Round Drawing Room, and Beauclerc Room (Adam); Tribune, elaborate domed and traceried ceiling (1763 mostly Chute); Great Bedchamber (1772).

Listing NGR: TQ1581072308

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
436168
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 17 Greater London

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].