- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- NOSTELL PRIORY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1262071.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 04:00:04.
- Statutory Address:
- NOSTELL PRIORY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wakefield (Metropolitan Authority)
- Huntwick with Foulby and Nostell
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 40409 17526
HUNTWICK WITH FOULBY NOSTELL PARK
6/25 Nostell Priory
Country house. 1736-1750, for Sir Rowland Winn, 4th baronet, by James Paine, probably from initial designs of Col. James Moyser (based on Palladio's Villa Mocenigo); completed by Robert Adam, with some alterations, 1765-1776, and with the addition of a north wing 1779-80, for Sir Rowland Winn, 5th baronet. Sandstone ashlar, stone slate roof. Conceived as a rectangular central block joined by quadrant wings to 4 square pavilions, of which only the southern pair were built (and one of these subsequently demolished). The main block is of double-pile circulatory plan. The east front, of 2 storeys raised over a rustic basement, and l3 bays, is symmetrical; it has a 5-bay centre of attached giant Ionic columns, with a plain entablature and a dentilled pediment containing a large carved coat of arms (of the Winn family); on the piano nobile level, a central doorway with architrave and pediment on consoles, and 12-pane sashed windows which have similar architraves with pediments alternately segmental, the windows linked by sill-bands; and at 1st floor, square 9 pane windows with architraves, that in the centre eared. In the centre of the rustic, which has similar windows, a 5-bay raised terrace, added by Robert Adam, flanked by curving flights of steps, has a central pedimented doorway (now the principal entrance), and 4 square 12-pane windows, and a balustraded parapet carried down the steps on either side. Dentilled cornice and hipped 2-span roof with 6 chimneys rising within the valley (3 each side of the centre).The added north wing (known as the Family Wing), has a set-back 3-bay linking range, a 5-bay main block with a tetrastyle Ionic portico rising from the projected rustic, a blind oeil-de- boeuf in the pediment, Ionic corner pilasters, a string course of guilloches below the 1st floor windows, and a plain frieze, but otherwise matches the main range. The 5-bay left return wall of the main Hall has in the centre of the rustic a round-headed doorway with round-headed side windows, flanked by coved niches, in the piano nobile above this, a Venetian window, and other windows otherwise similar to those at the front except that the pediments are all triangular and the architraves of those above have scrolls in the centre of the heads and sills. The west front has giant Ionic pilasters to a 5-bay pedimented centre breaking forwards slightly, a small doorway in the centre of the rustic, and windows matching those in the front. The Kitchen pavilion, to the south west, is square in plan, 3 x 3 bays, of 2 storeys over a basement, with attic, and symmetrical in each facade: except for the east side (attached to the quadrant passage),each has a central coved niche with pedimented architrave, 15-pane sashes at ground floor and 9-pane sashes above, all with raised surrounds; and a pyramidal roof with a pedimented dormer in the centre of each side, and a large square apex chimney. Interior:Rococo design, decoration and furnishing of major importance, by James Paine and subsequently by Robert Adam, with plaster by Joseph Rose, painting by Antonio Zucchi, furnishings and some decoration by Thomas Chippendale: the earlier work, by Paine, mainly in the North and South Staircases, and rooms to the south of the Hall (of which the Dining Room, State Bedchamber and State Dressing Room are of principal interest); the later work, by Adam, in the Top Hall and rooms to the north (principally the Saloon, the Tapestry Room and the Library). References: National Trust Nostell Priory (1985); Derek Linstrum West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture (1978).
Listing NGR: SE4042217529
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Nostell Priory, (1985)
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 45 West Yorkshire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing