CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1262135
Date first listed:
29-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, BRATTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1262135 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 19:08:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, BRATTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
West Ashton
National Grid Reference:
ST 87890 55902

Details

WEST ASHTON BRATTON ROAD ST 85 NE (off east side) 6/278 Church of St John the Evangelist GV II

Anglican parish church. 1846 by T.H. Wyatt and D. Brandon. Dressed limestone, Welsh slate roof with coped verges. Plan: South porch, north tower, nave and chancel. Gabled south porch with moulded pointed doorway, inner chamfered pointed doorway with double doors with ornamental strap hinges. Nave has two 2-light Perpendicular windows to right of porch and one to left, all with foliage terminals to hoodmould. Chancel has two cusped ogee-headed lancets to south, diagonal buttresses and east window without tracery, cusped lancet and pointed doorway to north. Two-stage north tower has diagonal buttresses, large cusped lancet with foliage terminals to hoodmould on north and east sides of lower stage, bellstage with 2-light Perpendicular windows with quatrefoil-pierced stone louvres, broach spire with roll-moulded ribs and gabled openings, polygonal stair turret attached to right with chamfered pointed doorway, entrance to former family pew of Long family. North side of nave has three 2-light Perpendicular windows, same as south side, west end with 4-light Perpendicular window with mask terminals to hoodmould. Interior: Nave roof has 4-bay deep arch-braced scissor trusses with trefoil cusping to apex, collar trusses to half-bays also with cusping. Gallery on south side of tower overlooking east end of nave has quatrefoiled panelled front; Long family pew. Moulded pointed chancel arch, chancel has 2-bay scissor truss roof on carved stone angels, curved windbracing and exposed rafters. Fittings: original pews and choir stalls, stone polygonal pulpit, carved stone octagonal font with quatrefoiled panels, wooden communion rail. Stained glass in east window is 1919 war memorial in pictorial style, designed by H. Wilson and made by Powells. Collection of brass memorial plaques to Longs of Rood Ashton (q.v.). White marble monument in nave to Walter Long and his wife, both died 1847; relief scene of woman with angel and child, by H. Timbrell, Rome. Built on edge of the landscaped Rood Ashton Park. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: ST8789055902

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
435740
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00372/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ron L Pybus. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].