CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1262412
Date first listed:
13-Nov-1982
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1262412.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Mar-2021 at 15:53:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Semington
National Grid Reference:
ST 89941 60502

Details

SEMINGTON CHURCH STREET ST 86 SE (south side) 4/180 Church of St George 13.11.82 GV II

Anglican and Methodist parish church. C16 and 1860 restoration. Rubble stone and ashlar limestone, stone slate roof. Plan: Nave, chancel with south vestry, west bellcote and north porch. Gabled porch with diagonal buttresses, moulded Tudor-arched doorway with hoodmould, coped verge with finial. North side of nave has C19 two-light square-headed window with cusped lights to right and 3- light segmental-pointed Perpendicular window with hoodmould to left of porch. North and south side of chancel has 3-light square- headed window with segmental-headed lights, east end has diagonal buttresses and C19 three-light window with reticulated tracery. 1877 half-octagonal south vestry with chamfered lancets and stone stack. South side of nave has blocked Tudor-arched doorway, C19 two-light square-headed window to left and 3-light segmental- pointed Perpendicular window to right. West end has diagonal buttresses, two C19 windows with reticulated tracery, hoodmoulds with foliage terminals. Central pilaster buttress carried up to a diagonally-set square bellcote with shouldered openings, diagonal buttresses and short pyramidal spire with weathercock. Interior: Porch has inner Tudor-arched moulded doorway with C19 door, C19 boarded barrel-vaulted ceiling with carved bosses. Nave has segmental-pointed stoup inside door to right, 5-bay pointed barrel-vaulted C19 boarded ceiling similar to one in porch. Chancel has C19 pointed chancel arch with crocketed capitals and foliage mouldings, on half-cone corbels, arch-braced collar roof, also C19. Fittings: C19 nave and chancel seating, communion rail, circular stone pulpit on plinth, octagonal C15 style font with quatrefoiled panels. Stained glass by Gibbs in east window, 1880s unsigned, north and south chancel glass. Some good monuments; in chancel a large coloured marble to William Blagden of Littleton died 1697, on north wall a tablet to Robert Bisse died 1723. In the nave a classical marble tablet by King of Bath with standing female figure with urn, to James Matravers died 1799, a white marble on south wall to William Bruges died 1831 by Osmond of Sarum, with carved volutes and a pediment with heraldic arms and antefixa. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; Kelly's Directory, Wiltshire, 1899)

Listing NGR: ST8994160502

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
434833
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
'Kellys Directory' in Wiltshire, (1889)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/15405/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burgoyne. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].