CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1263823
Date first listed:
18-Oct-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Apr-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1263823.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:18:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Broxtowe (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 52766 36744

Details

SK 5236 NE BEESTON AND STAPLEFORD CHURCH STREET Beeston (west side)

Church of St John the 6/8 Baptist (formerly listed 18.lO.49 as Parish Church of St John)

GV II

Parish church. Chancel C15, remainder rebuilt 1842 by Scott and Moffatt. Enlarged 1876 by C. H. Thornton. Organ chamber 1876. Vestry 1897. C15 Perpendicular style. Pecked ashlar. Gabled and lean-to slate and patterned tile roofs. Moulded plinth and sill band. Moulded eaves band with bosses and masks. Crenellated parapets. Decorated ridge. Coped gables with crosses. Windows are C15 style lancets with hood moulds. South west tower, nave, chancel, north and south aisles, north transept, vestries. Buttressed south west tower, 4 stages, has higher buttressed octagonal stair turret at south west corner. 3 string courses. First stage has to south moulded doorway with flanking shafts, Arms in spandrels and hood mould. Second stage has to south a cusped Decorated double lancet. Third stage has on each side a single lancet. Fourth stage has on each side 2 double lancet louvred openings. All openings have hood moulds. Stair turret has a single light on each stage on alternate sides. Nave west end has 5 light lancet with panel tracery. To left, canted stair turret and door. Above, angel boss at top of eaves band. Clerestory, 6 bays, has on each side 3 buttresses and dwarf corner buttresses. South side has 4 and north side 6 square headed double lancets. East gable has small double lancet and above, angel boss. Chancel, 3 bays, has to north, to east, C15 double lancet with panel tracery. East end has a pair of diagonal buttresses and transomed 5 light lancet with panel tracery and segmental head. South side has central buttress and off-centre cusped doorway, C15, with C17 plank door. Flanked by single C19 double lancets with panel tracery and square headed reveals. Choir vestry has to north a pair of diagonal buttresses and late C14 style double lancet. Inscribed stone commemorating Victoria's Jubilee, 1898. East side, 2 bays, has central buttress and off-centre moulded doorway with hood mould and mask stops. Above, 2 C15 style double lancets with panel tracery and square headed reveals. Vestry in return angle has to north a pair of corner buttresses and a double lancet with square headed reveal. Choir vestry to east, 3 bays, has 4 centred arched door flanked by single double lancets, Tower chamber forming south porch has chamfered and rebated inner door with hanging lamp on bracket. Nave arcades, 6 bays, have clustered shafts with moulded bases and lobed capitals. Moulded arches have hood moulds and mask stops. Clerestory has sill band. Hammer beam roof on foliate corbels. West window has stained glass to John Watson, 1876. East gable has stained glass window c.1858. Chancel has double chamfered and rebated arch flanked to left by niche with four centred arched head. North side has to left, opening containing organ. To right, easternmost window has stained glass, 1859. East end has C14 style traceried reredos, 1880 and stained glass window 1854. South side has to east cusped ogee headed piscina and matching triple sedilia, C15. Easternmost stained glass window 1860,westernmost window 1877. Roof 1876, low pitched with arch braces on corbels. North and south aisles have lean-to roofs with arch braces on corbels. North aisle west end has stained glass window 1859 and central north side window by Henry Hughes, 1873. East end has traceried arch containing C20 War Memorial traceried screen. South aisle has stained glass window at east end, 1850 and on south side, stained glass windows 1890, 1858 and 1874, 1893 and at west end, 1878. Vestry has stained glass window 1873. Fittings include reeded round font, C11, re-set on C14 style base, 1842. Poor box made from beam end with iron binding inscribed "W.A. E.B. C.W. 1684". Part of altar rail with balusters, late C17. Moulded and pierced stalls and desks, 1875. Benches mid C19. Eagle lectern, 1875. Panelled alabaster pulpit on stem, 1885. Memorials include marble tablet with apron and pediment, 1797, Classical style marble and slate tablets 1809, 1821, 1914, 1915. Marble and slate tablet by Walkers, Nottingham, 1862. 2 brasses, C19. 5 C20 memorials. Pair of hatchments, C18. Royal Arms, 1844.

Listing NGR: SK5276636744

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
429329
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27232

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06852/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Andrew Cooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].