CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1264330
Date first listed:
24-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1264330.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:21:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Dover (District Authority)
Parish:
Ripple
National Grid Reference:
TR3503150208

Details

TR 35 SE 5/61

RIPPLE CHURCH LANE (East side) Church of St. Mary the Virgin

GV II*

Parish Church. 1861. By Arthur Ashpitel. Flint and plain tiled roof. Nave, chancel with north vestry and western tower, all in Romanesque style and in imitation of St. Nicholas, Barfrestone. Three stage west tower with doubled belfry openings and lead spire, and west doorway with attached shafts, billet and rope-mould surround. Nave and chancel with offset buttresses, with round headed windows with roll-moulded surround brought down as attached-shafts, in the same way as at Barfrestone, with lancets in the nave, with 3 light east window and roundel over. Interior: West wall of nave with possibly genuine C12 reveal to window. Queen strut roof in nave. Chancel arch in imitation of Barfrestone, complete with twisted attached shafts and zig-zag moulded arch and side niches. Chancel with shafts to windows etc painted gold; simple round headed doorway to vestry. Fittings: octagonal font dated R P. Hatchment on west wall. Monuments: 1663 2 reset wooden plaques on nave south wall bear brass inscriptions and shields to Thomas Warren, d.1591 and William Warren d.1612, both 'chief customers' of various Cinque Ports. Captain Andrew Rand, d.1680, chancel wall tablet. Fine white marble cartouche enriched with palm fronds with an acanthus roll, draped urn over, and naval relief on the base, also incorporating the crest, a hog, of the painted coat of arms below. Robert Bowles, d.1734, and the Lynch family, from 1765 to 1789. Large wall tablet in nave with oval plaque over 2 round plaques, all with oak-leaf wreaths, central palmette supporting a shield, with corniced apron with palm fronds. At the top is an urn, from which fall ribbons tying the whole composition together - Neo-classical wall tablets to Elizabeth Herring, d.1811 in the chancel, and in the nave Robert Henson, d.1817 and Sarah Walls, d.1841, signed Bax (John Bax of Deal), with weeping palm and urn over sarcophagus, her husband Stephen Watts a native of New York, but fought for Britain in the War of Independence, d.1810 in London. Recess in nave south wall in coloured marble, a Barfrestone-style window opening, a monument to John Baker Sladen, d.1860. Painted Royal Coat-of Arms in west porch. (See B.O.E. Kent II, 1983, 434).

Listing NGR: TR3503150208

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
428175
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1969), 434
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/15188/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Belinda Wallace. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].