This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE BEDE HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE BEDE HOUSE

List entry Number: 1264528

Location

THE BEDE HOUSE, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Rutland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Lyddington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 427654

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LYDDINGTON CHURCH LANE SP 8697-8797 SP 8696-8796 8/57 9/57 10.11.55 The Bede House. GV I

Solar wing of former palace of the Bishops of Lincoln, converted to bedehouse c.1600. Possibly late C12-C13 in origin. Bishop Burghersh was given licence to crenellate 1336 and basis of surviving structure is early-mid C14. Main upper chambers refenestrated and probably re-roofed late C15. Further alterations early C16 and c.1600. NE end, formerly chapel, much rebuilt 1767 as dated on chimney; entrance verandah added to NW side 1745. Coursed ironstone rubble with pale limestone dressings, NE end rebuilt in ashlar. Collyweston slate roof, ashlar chimneys. 2-storey SW bay, probably built as entrance tower but much altered; main block of 2 storey and attic, with great chamber and presence chamber over individual bede-houses, former chapel at NE end, and gabled stair projection to NW. Former hall, also to NW has been completely demolished. SE side: left bay projects, and has monopitch roof, off-set buttresses, and moulded eaves and string. Late C15 window of 4 cusped lights with Tudor hoodmould to first floor; blocked rectangular windows, one with hoodmould; blocked doorway with moulded 2-centred arch; later entry to through passage at right. Main block of 5 bays has 2 lateral chimneys with fluted octagonal shafts, and ridge chimneys with rectangular shafts. Off-set buttresses with cusped gablets. Ground floor has 4 2-light stone mullion windows, the left with ovolo mouldings, remainder chamfered with Tudor hoodmoulds. 4 late C15 4-light windows above have transoms, cusping, King mullions and hoodmoulds with carved head stops. Centre bay has canted limestone projection with matching bay window to first floor and blind lower storey. Bay at right end, rebuilt 1767 has matching buttresses, 2-light windows and gabled lateral stack with 4 fluted shafts on twin base. One gabled dormer with paired leaded lights. NW side: Main block has lateral chimney and 2 dormer gables with C16 3-light stone mullion windows, each light with 4-centred head. Verandah with pent roof shelters ground floor with irregular single lights and C17 3-light ovolo-moulded window to left. Central late C14-C15 moulded stone doorway with 4-centred arch and traceried spandrels. Smaller doorway with 4-centred chamfered arch to right. To left is stair projection with blind C16 2-light window to ground floor, and late C15 3-light arched window above. Lean-to along right side, with passage to door and large semi-circular arch to stairs. Interior: ground floor bedehouses have heavy cross beams in SW bays, one bay with late C14-C15 4-centred stone fireplace. Stairs lead up to pair of early-mid C14 doorways with moulded 2-centred arches and heraldic shields in spandrels. Great chamber and presence chamber have splendid early C16 wooden ceilings with moulded ribs and richly carved coving. Coving has series of blind tracery fans and vine-trail frieze below. Late C15-C16 stained glass. Late C14-C15 stone fireplace with square head in great chamber, also an internal porch. Presence chamber beyond has late C15 stone fireplace with moulded 4-centred arch and blind tracery panels with shields above. Above ceilings is fine C15 roof structure with arch-braced collar trusses, butt purlins and arched wind-braces. Scheduled ancient monument No 180. Under guardianship of English Heritage. (C and P Woodfield, The Palace of the Bishops of Lincoln at Lyddington, Leicester Transactions LVII 1981-82. Country Life July 24th 1909, p 126-134).

Listing NGR: SP8758797005

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 24 July, (1909), 126-134
Woodfield, , Charmian, , 'Leicestershire Archaeological and Historical Society Transactions' in The Palace of the Bishops of Lincoln at Lyddington, , Vol. 57, (1981-82), 1-16

National Grid Reference: SP 87587 97005

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1264528 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jun-2018 at 05:54:19.

End of official listing