CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1264584
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1264584.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 17:45:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Glaston
National Grid Reference:
SK 89632 00552

Details

GLASTON CHURCH LANE SK 8800-8900 7/31 10.11.55 Church of St Andrew. GV II*

Parish church. C12 in origin, with tower and N arcade surviving from that date; spire added early C13; N aisle rebuilt mid C14 but very much restored C19; nave and chancel rebuilt later C14; all considerably restored 1862; S porch rebuilt 1880. Coursed limestone rubble, lead roof to nave, slate roofs to remainder. Nave, N aisle with vestry bay at E end, S porch, central tower, chancel. Nave has large C19 3-light traceried window in W end, C19 buttresses, and 2-bay clerestory of small rectangular windows with 2 cusped lights and hoodmoulds. Both S side of nave and chancel have course of ballflower ornament just below the eaves, and 2 bays of 3-light traceried windows with flat heads. Nave also has fragment of high string course terminating in a carved head at SW corner. S door has moulded arch, jambs and imposts, and gabled porch with moulded arch and remains of carved head stops to hoodmould. N aisle has parapet, small blocked W window, and 3 bays of Decorated windows. Window in W bay is of 2-lights, remainder are of 3-lights with reticulated tracery. Similar windows to vestry bay. Central tower is of 2 stages with very stumpy broach spire and C16 2-light openings to bell-chamber. S side has smaller similar window below, and slight stair projections. Chancel has N and S fenestration as described, C19 3-light window with reticulated tracery in E end, and S door. Interior is much restored and scraped but retains good N arcade. This is of 3 bays, the W bay with double chamfered arch, the E bays with only slightly pointed moulded arches on octagonal piers. Piers have waterleaf capitals, and there are carved heads at the apex of each arch. Tie-beams of nave roof are dated 1744 and 1750. Tower arches are of 2 orders, the inner chamfered, the outer unmoulded. Between tower and vestry is doorway with triple chamfered arch. Chancel has cusped ogee piscina, triple sedilia with chamfered arches, and C19 roof on C19 carved foliage corbels. Fittings are C19, with much stained glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. Some C18 memorial tablets remain but older monuments were removed during C19 restoration. (Memorials of Glaston c/o The Rectory).

Listing NGR: SK8963200552

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
427491
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08437/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Rockett. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].